Monday, April 3, 2017

Geekerella by Ashley Poston

Geekerella 
By: Ashley Poston
Released: April 4, 2017
Source: ARC from NYCC
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*An advanced reader's copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Geek girl Elle Wittimer lives and breathes Starfield, the classic sci-fi series she grew up watching with her late father. So when she sees a cosplay contest for a new Starfield movie, she has to enter. The prize? An invitation to the ExcelsiCon Cosplay Ball, and a meet-and-greet with the actor slated to play Federation Prince Carmindor in the reboot. With savings from her gig at the Magic Pumpkin food truck (and her dad’s old costume), Elle’s determined to win…unless her stepsisters get there first. Teen actor Darien Freeman used to live for cons—before he was famous. Now they’re nothing but autographs and awkward meet-and-greets. Playing Carmindor is all he’s ever wanted, but Starfield fandom has written him off as just another dumb heartthrob. As ExcelsiCon draws near, Darien feels more and more like a fake—until he meets a girl who shows him otherwise. But when she disappears at midnight, will he ever be able to find her again? Part romance, part love letter to nerd culture, and all totally adorbs, Geekerella is a fairy tale for anyone who believes in the magic of fandom. (Goodreads)


This geek loved Geekerella! It was such a fun retelling of Cinderella and I didn't want it to end.

Elle was a well developed protagonist who learns a lot about herself as the story progresses. She was definitely a character that I could really relate to. She doesn't get along with her stepmother or stepsisters and feels like she isn't wanted in her own home after losing her dad. She doubts herself a lot and questions her own self-worth. However, Elle does have Starfield and runs a blog dedicated to the classic sci-fi show. Starfield means a lot to her because she grew up watching it with her father. Now her favorite show is being rebooted into a movie though and Elle wants to enter the cosplay contest at ExcelsiCon with her father's old costume. 

Darien was a well developed character as well. He's a teen actor who will be playing the lead in the Starfield movie. Before he was famous, he used to love to attend cons and be a part of the Starfield fandom. However, he now questions if he is the right guy to play his favorite character. I enjoyed that the chapters alternated between Darien and Elle because it helped move the story along. I also loved reading about what Starfield meant to both Darien and Elle. It held a special place in their lives for both similar and different reasons.

This book was also packed with some great side characters too. My favorite character though was definitely Sage. Sage works in the food truck with Elle and I loved the friendship that develops between them. I wouldn't mind reading a whole book about Sage next  

The plot was paced well and I didn't want to put this book down once I started reading. My favorite aspect though was how Geekerella captured the feeling of belonging to a fandom and attending a convention. I've been attending Comic Con for the past seven years and Poston truly conveyed all of the reasons why I love attending conventions. She even captured the generosity and kindness of the people who attend conventions.

Overall, I loved Geekerella! This book made me smile and laugh. If you're a fan of contemporary books, then I definitely recommend picking this one up.    

My Rating:
 


2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to read Geekerella myself! I love retellings and this one seems the cutest! Thanks for sharing and glad to hear you enjoyed!

    xx Anisha @ Sprinkled Pages

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant get over how adorable this book sounds! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)