Wednesday, February 22, 2017

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

The Hate U Give
By: Angie Thomas
Released: February 28, 2017
Source: Edelweiss
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*An advanced reader's copy was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Sixteen-year-old Starr lives in two worlds: the poor neighbourhood where she was born and raised and her posh high school in the suburbs. The uneasy balance between them is shattered when Starr is the only witness to the fatal shooting of her unarmed best friend, Khalil, by a police officer. Now what Starr says could destroy her community. It could also get her killed. Inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement, this is a powerful and gripping YA novel about one girl's struggle for justice. (Goodreads)


The Hate U Give is a must-read! This powerful book will stay with you long after you finish reading it. Starr's voice and story is certainly going to stick with me for the rest of my life. 

Starr was a well developed and complex protagonist. She lives in a poor neighborhood, but attends high school in a more wealthy suburb. She feels like she lives two different lives though and worries about letting those lives merge. Then one night, after a party in her neighborhood, she witnesses the fatal shooting of her unarmed childhood best friend by a police officer. Starr knows the truth about what happened that night and she must decide for herself how she will use her voice.  

This book is also packed with several great side characters and relationships. I especially loved Starr's family though. The love and support this family shared was evident on every single page.

Just a few of the relevant topics that The Hate U Give takes on are racism, police brutality, class, stereotypes, and justice. This is definitely a book packed with so much that can start up a discussion after you listen to what this story is saying. The plot is paced well and I stayed up late reading because I couldn't put it down. Both the main plot and the subplots were well developed too. This book is infuriating, heartbreaking, and hopeful. Angie Thomas is truly a talented writer. Her writing style is stunning and I'm already looking forward to reading what she publishes next.    
   
Overall, I loved The Hate U Give! It's an honest, real, and important story that I highly recommend picking up. I will personally be recommending this one to everyone I know. If you only read one book this year, let it be this one.

My Rating: 
 




2 comments:

  1. I honestly don't think I've seen any reviews lower than 5 stars for this book, which is amazing and awesome! I haven't read it yet, but I know it's an important book with an important message. So glad you enjoyed it! Wonderful review :)

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this one right now! Not too far along yet but definitely living up to the hype so far! So glad you enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)