Monday, January 30, 2017

By Your Side by Kasie West

By Your Side
By: Kasie West
Released: January 31, 2017
Source: Edelweiss
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

When Autumn Collins finds herself accidentally locked in the library for an entire weekend, she doesn’t think things could get any worse. But that’s before she realizes that Dax Miller is locked in with her. Autumn doesn’t know much about Dax except that he’s trouble. Between the rumors about the fight he was in (and that brief stint in juvie that followed it) and his reputation as a loner, he’s not exactly the ideal person to be stuck with. Still, she just keeps reminding herself that it is only a matter of time before Jeff, her almost-boyfriend, realizes he left her in the library and comes to rescue her. Only he doesn’t come. No one does. Instead it becomes clear that Autumn is going to have to spend the next couple of days living off vending-machine food and making conversation with a boy who clearly wants nothing to do with her. Except there is more to Dax than meets the eye. As he and Autumn first grudgingly, and then not so grudgingly, open up to each other, Autumn is struck by their surprising connection. But can their feelings for each other survive once the weekend is over and Autumn’s old life, and old love interest, threaten to pull her from Dax’s side? (Goodreads)

I really enjoyed By Your Side a lot! This book surprised me in the best way and was about so much more than I expected. I'm a huge fan of Kasie West's contemporary books and this was another adorable story that was difficult to put down.

By Your Side is the story of Autumn who accidentally gets locked in the library for a long weekend. She soon discovers that she isn't alone though. She's locked in with Dax, who is rumored to have spent time in juvie.

Autumn was a well developed and complex character. She worries a lot about what other people think of her and her choices. She can also become too caught up in her own head and tends to forget to take care of herself at times. Overall, I just found Autumn to be a realistic character that I could really connect with. I also loved how close Autumn was with her parents and brother. I especially loved Autumn's older brother and I would have loved to see even more of him in the book. 

Dax was a really interesting and complex character that I loved getting to know. He's quiet and tends to keep to himself. He doesn't want to get close to anyone or have any commitments. I loved the relationship that developed between Autumn and Dax though. I loved that at first it seemed like Autumn and Dax were polar opposites. However, as they got closer, they began to find that they actually shared a connection. 

The plot was paced well and it was so difficult to stop reading. I liked that there were a lot of flashbacks intertwined with the present because it helped develop the relationships that Autumn shared with her friends and family. There were also so many great moments throughout this book that made me smile and laugh. However, one of my favorite aspects of this book was how realistically West portrayed anxiety. She did a wonderful job showing a character who lives with anxiety.

Overall, I really enjoyed By Your Side a lot and reading Autumn's story. I already can't wait to reread this book again soon. If you're a fan of contemporary books, then I highly recommend picking this one up.      

My Rating:



2 comments:

  1. I'm not a big reader of contemporary books, but I've seen everyone raving about this one, so it has gotten my attention. I'm glad you enjoyed it :D Awesome review!

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day I need to read a Kasie West book! They all sound so good. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)