Monday, October 3, 2016

The Lovely Reckless by Kami Garcia

The Lovely Reckless
By: Kami Garcia
Released: October 4, 2016
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

I’ve become an expert at avoiding things that could hurt me—which means I will figure out how to stay away from Marco Leone. Seventeen-year-old Frankie Devereux would do anything to forget the past. Haunted by the memory of her boyfriend’s death, she lives her life by one dangerous rule: Nothing matters. At least, that’s what Frankie tells herself after a reckless mistake forces her to leave her privileged life in the Heights to move in with her dad—an undercover cop. She transfers to a public high school in the Downs, where fistfights don’t faze anyone and illegal street racing is more popular than football. Marco Leone is the fastest street racer in the Downs. Tough, sexy, and hypnotic, he makes it impossible for Frankie to ignore him—and how he makes her feel. But the risks Marco takes for his family could have devastating consequences for them both. When Frankie discovers his secret, she has to make a choice. Will she let the pain of the past determine her future? Or will she risk what little she has left to follow her heart? (Goodreads)

I really enjoyed The Lovely Reckless a lot. I couldn't put this book down and stayed up until four am to finish it. I've been a fan of Kami Garcia's books for years and this may have just become my favorite book she's written yet.

The Lovely Reckless is the story of Frankie who is struggling with the memory of her boyfriend's death. After making a huge mistake, she moves in with father and leaves behind her privileged life in the Heights with her mom to transfer to the public school.  

Frankie was a well developed character. She's been through so much the past few months and can't be the girl she used to be anymore. She isn't going to sit back anymore and be told who she should be. She shares a complicated relationship with both of her parents because she feels as though neither of them truly listen to what she really wants. I admired how loyal Frankie was though and what she would do to help a friend in need.

I really liked the relationship that she develops with Marco. The chemistry between them was clearly evident on the pages. However, I felt like the pacing of their relationship happened a bit too fast. I really liked Marco a lot though. He has this really complicated past and feels as though his hands are tied. I especially admired the way he took care of his sister. 

This book was filled with great side characters such as Lex, Cruz, and Abel. I really enjoyed how each character had their own interesting side storyline going on. However, I wanted more from each of them. I felt like each of their side stories just dropped off by the last half of the book and I wanted more closure for each character. My favorite character in this whole book was definitely Cruz though. Cruz is Marco's friend and she races cars. Honestly, I would love to read a whole book that's just about Cruz. She was so interesting and tough, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that perhaps Garcia will write a companion book.

The plot hooked me in immediately and I couldn't put this book down. The plot was paced fairly well and I never felt like it dragged on. If anything I just felt like it went a bit too fast at times. I also really liked the whole setting a lot, especially the street racing scenes. I felt like I was at the street races with these characters. However, this book just left me feeling like I wanted more though. I wanted more of the street racing, more of the relationship that Frankie shared with her previous boyfriend, and more closure for all of the characters. There are a lot of minor subplots occurring throughout this book and I felt as though it didn't all come together at the end. Which is why again I'm hoping there will be some companion books about the side characters.

Overall though I really enjoyed The Lovely Reckless a lot! If you're a fan of contemporary books, then The Lovely Reckless is a must read.

My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. The more I hear about this book, the more I'm sure it's my cup of tea! :D
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big YA contemporary fan but everyone seems to be loving this one, which has me really curious. I may give it a try one day. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)