Monday, September 12, 2016

Quick Reviews: New Adult

Quick Reviews: New Adult

The Deal 
By Elle Kennedy 
Released: February 24, 2015
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

She's about to make a deal with the college bad boy... Hannah Wells has finally found someone who turns her on. But while she might be confident in every other area of her life, she's carting around a full set of baggage when it comes to sex and seduction. If she wants to get her crush's attention, she'll have to step out of her comfort zone and make him take notice...even if it means tutoring the annoying, childish, cocky captain of the hockey team in exchange for a pretend date. ...and it's going to be oh so good. All Garrett Graham has ever wanted is to play professional hockey after graduation, but his plummeting GPA is threatening everything he's worked so hard for. If helping a sarcastic brunette make another guy jealous will help him secure his position on the team, he's all for it. But when one unexpected kiss leads to the wildest sex of both their lives, it doesn't take long for Garrett to realize that pretend isn't going to cut it. Now he just has to convince Hannah that the man she wants looks a lot like him. (Goodreads)
 
I really enjoyed The Deal a lot! It was a cute and realistic story that I didn't want to put down

Hannah and Garrett were both well developed characters and I loved getting to know each of them. Kennedy did a great job with telling the story from both of their point of views. I also loved the relationship that develops between them. The romance between Hannah and Garrett was so sweet and the chemistry was strong.

The plot was paced well and it was difficult to put this book down for long. The Deal was filled with a lot of really cute moments, but it also dealt with some very serious issues as well. I especially loved that this story took it's time developing and it gave the reader the chance to really get to know these characters though. I also loved the role that both hockey and music played in the story too.

Overall, I really enjoyed The Deal a lot! If you love New Adult books, then I would definitely recommend picking this one up. 

My Rating: 
 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come Back to Me 
By Mila Gray 
Released: December 8, 2015
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

When a Marine Chaplain knocks on her door, Jessa’s heart breaks—someone she loves is dead. Killed in action, but is it Riley or Kit? Her brother or her boyfriend… Three months earlier, Marine Kit Ryan finds himself back home on leave and dangerously drawn to his best friend Riley’s sister, Jessa—the one girl he can’t have. Exhausted from fighting his feelings, Kit finally gives in, and Jessa isn’t strong enough to resist diving headfirst into a passionate relationship. But what was just supposed to be a summer romance develops into something far greater than either of them expected. Jessa’s finally found the man of her dreams and Kit’s finally discovered there’s someone he’d sacrifice everything for. When it’s time for Kit to redeploy, neither one is ready to say goodbye. Jessa vows to wait for him and Kit promises to come home to her. No matter what. But as Jessa stands waiting for the Marine Chaplain to break her heart, she can’t help but feel that Kit has broken his promise… Riley or Kit? Kit or Riley? Her brother or her boyfriend? Who’s coming home to her? (Goodreads)

I liked Come Back to Me. It was an emotional story that I couldn't stop thinking about for days.

Jessa and Kit were both well developed characters. I especially loved watching Jessa grow and become more confident in herself as the story progressed. The relationship that develops between them is sweet and the chemistry was clear on almost every page.

The plot was paced fairly well. I felt like at times it moved a bit too fast though and made certain moments feel too rushed. However, it always held my attention and I finished this book within one day because it was so difficult to put down.  

Overall, I liked Come Back to Me. If you're looking for a book that will probably make you cry, then I definitely recommend this one. 

My Rating: 
 


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paper Princess
By: Erin Watt
Released: April 4, 2016
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

From strip clubs and truck stops to southern coast mansions and prep schools, one girl tries to stay true to herself. These Royals will ruin you… Ella Harper is a survivor—a pragmatic optimist. She’s spent her whole life moving from town to town with her flighty mother, struggling to make ends meet and believing that someday she’ll climb out of the gutter. After her mother’s death, Ella is truly alone. Until Callum Royal appears, plucking Ella out of poverty and tossing her into his posh mansion among his five sons who all hate her. Each Royal boy is more magnetic than the last, but none as captivating as Reed Royal, the boy who is determined to send her back to the slums she came from. Reed doesn’t want her. He says she doesn’t belong with the Royals. He might be right. Wealth. Excess. Deception. It’s like nothing Ella has ever experienced, and if she’s going to survive her time in the Royal palace, she’ll need to learn to issue her own Royal decrees. (Goodreads)

I liked Paper Princess and found that it was difficult to put this book down. 

There were so many interesting characters and I really liked getting to know each of them. Almost all of them are unlikable, but I personally love unlikable characters. I really liked Ella a lot though because she can take care of herself. However, I still have so many questions about Ella and the Royals, so I definitely can't wait to read the next book in this series.

The plot was paced fairly well, but I felt like there were some moments where things were moving too quickly. It made certain relationships suddenly feel rushed. This book was definitely packed with a ton of drama though and I was completely wrapped up in all of it.

Overall, I liked Paper Princess. If you're looking for something different, I would recommend picking this one up. 
 
My Rating:
  


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Broken Prince (The Royals #2)
By: Erin Watt
Released: July 25, 2016
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

These Royals will ruin you… From wharf fights and school brawls to crumbling lives inside glittery mansions, one guy tries to save himself. Reed Royal has it all—looks, status, money. The girls at his elite prep school line up to date him, the guys want to be him, but Reed never gave a damn about anyone but his family until Ella Harper walked into his life. What started off as burning resentment and the need to make his father’s new ward suffer turned into something else entirely—keep Ella close. Keep Ella safe. But when one foolish mistake drives her out of Reed’s arms and brings chaos to the Royal household, Reed’s entire world begins to fall apart around him. Ella doesn’t want him anymore. She says they’ll only destroy each other. She might be right. Secrets. Betrayal. Enemies. It’s like nothing Reed has ever dealt with before, and if he’s going to win back his princess, he’ll need to prove himself Royally worthy. (Goodreads) 

I liked Broken Prince and thought it was a good follow up to Paper Princess. After finishing Paper Princess, I had to pick up Broken Prince immediately. 

I really liked getting to know Ella and the Royals more in this book. I especially liked that Broken Prince alternated between Ella and Reed's point of views. I felt like it helped move the story along and finally gave me some more answers. 

The plot was paced fairly well and just like with Paper Princess, I had a difficult time putting this book down. I was completely wrapped up in the drama surrounding the Royal family. There is just so much of it and it's addictive to read about. However, there were moments where I felt like the story was going in circles though and becoming repetitive. 

Overall, I liked Broken Prince and I can't wait to read the conclusion to this series. If you're looking to read something that is heavy on the drama, then I recommend picking up this series.   

My Rating:
 
  
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bully 
By: Penelope Douglas
Released: February 18, 2014
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

My name is Tate. He doesn't call me that, though. He would never refer to me so informally, if he referred to me at all. No, he'll barely even speak to me. But he still won't leave me alone. We were best friends once. Then he turned on me and made it his mission to ruin my life. I've been humiliated, shut out, and gossiped about all through high school. His pranks and rumors got more sadistic as time wore on, and I made myself sick trying to stay out of his way. I even went to France for a year, just to avoid him. But I'm done hiding from him now, and there's no way in hell I'll allow him to ruin my senior year. He might not have changed, but I have. It's time to fight back. I'm not going to let him bully me anymore. (Goodreads)

I thought that Bully was okay. The summary intrigued me a lot, but I felt underwhelmed after finishing this book.

Tate was an interesting protagonist and I liked her a lot. She's been bullied by Jared and his friends for years and she's finally not going to take it anymore. However, I felt like her character development was rushed. I also felt like the relationship between Tate and Jared was rushed too. I really liked their backstory of once being best friends though.

The plot felt really rushed as well. I thought that the beginning started off really well, but then things just started to move forward too quickly. There were some interesting subplots going on, but then nothing happened with them. 

Overall, I just really wanted more from Bully. I especially wanted more character and plot development. However, I did like it enough to read more in this series and see what happens to the other characters.    

My Rating:
 




Do you have any New Adult book recommendations? Let me know in the comments. I would love to hear them.

 

1 comment:

  1. Not sure what other books you've read, but here are some faves! DEEPER by Robin York, MAKE IT COUNT by Megan Erickson, TRADE ME by Courtney Milan, SECOND POSITION by Katherine Locke, SWIMMING TO TOKYO by Brenda St John Brown, and LOUD IS HOW I LOVE YOU by Mercy Brown!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)