Thursday, August 4, 2016

P.S. I Like You by Kasie West

P.S. I Like You
By: Kasie West
Released: July 26, 2016
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

Signed, sealed, delivered… While spacing out in chemistry class, Lily scribbles some of her favorite song lyrics onto her desk. The next day, she finds that someone has continued the lyrics on the desk and added a message to her. Intrigue! Soon, Lily and her anonymous pen pal are exchanging full-on letters—sharing secrets, recommending bands, and opening up to each other. Lily realizes she’s kind of falling for this letter writer. Only, who is he? As Lily attempts to unravel the mystery and juggle school, friends, crushes, and her crazy family, she discovers that matters of the heart can’t always be spelled out… (Goodreads)

I loved P.S. I Like You! This book was packed with complex characters and a captivating plot. I'm a huge fan of Kasie West's contemporary books and this was another wonderful story that I can certainly see myself rereading again very soon. 

P.S. I Like You is the story of Lily who begins exchanging anonymous letters with someone in her school, after this person adds to the song lyrics she wrote on her desk. Lily and her secret pen pal bond over their similiar taste in music and begin to share more personal details about their lives.

Lily was a well developed, complex, and at times awkward protagonist. She also has her flaws and those only made me connect with her even more though. Lily is a realistic character who grows a lot as the story progresses. I loved how passionate she was about music and writing lyrics, but still struggled to find her confidence with sharing those lyrics with others. I also loved her relationship with her family. Lily has three siblings and her house is chaotic almost all of the time. The family has their disagreements from time to time, but their love for one another came across so strongly on the pages. I also loved Lily's relationship with her best friend, Isabel because it was realistic as well.

The plot was paced well and I had the hardest time putting this book down. I ended up reading it all in one sitting and staying up past two in the morning to finish it. West does a wonderful job with hooking the reader in and holding their attention. The plot had a great balance of humor, romance, drama, and a bit of a mystery. The mystery aspect did become predictable quickly, however, I still enjoyed it. I loved the light and funny moments, but I also loved the more serious moments as well. The humor and seriousness balanced each other out well. This book certainly had me laughing out loud and smiling at times though. I also loved the messages in this story about judgement and finding your confidence. 

Overall, I loved P.S. I Like You! It was a story filled with adorable, fun, and serious moments. If you're a fan of contemporary books, I highly recommend picking this one up. I definitely can't wait to read what West writes next!  
  

My Rating:



2 comments:

  1. I really like the idea of this novel -- exchanging of letters. I've never really read anything like it. I also like the sound of how well the main character is written. Great review!

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I remember seeing this one and really wanting to read it! Lily does sound like a character I would love getting to known, a character I would enjoy. This one sounds like a wonderful read. Wonderful review

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)