Tuesday, July 19, 2016

This Is My Brain On Boys by Sarah Strohmeyer

This Is My Brain On Boys
By: Sarah Strohmeyer
Released: May 10, 2016
Source: Edelweiss
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Addie Emerson doesn’t believe in love. Not for herself, anyway. With one year left of high school, she’s more interested in snagging a full scholarship to Harvard than a full-time boyfriend. That doesn’t mean she’s oblivious to the ways of the heart. Or, rather, the head. Because after months of research, Addie has discovered how to make anyone fall in love. All you need is the secret formula. But will her discovery be enough to win the coveted Athenian Award and all its perks? (See above, full scholarship to Harvard.) Or will she be undone by Dexter, her backstabbing lab partner, who is determined to deep-six her experiments at their exclusive private school? Those are the least of her problems now that she’s survived a death-defying flight with a mysterious, dark-haired boy, who has delicious chocolate-brown eyes and a few secrets of his own. With an experiment to mastermind, an infatuated exchange student on her hands, and at least one great white shark (more on that later), can Addie’s prefrontal cortex outwit her heart? Or will she have to give in to her amygdala and find out, once and for all, if this thing called love is more than just her brain on drugs? (Goodreads)
 
I liked This Is My Brain On Boys. I've read several of Strohmeyer's books and while this one wasn't my favorite, I still enjoyed reading it. 

This Is My Brain on Boys is the story of Addie who believes she has the right formula to make anyone fall in love. She wants to use her research to win the Athenian Award and a scholarship to Harvard.    
 
Addie was an interesting and fairly well developed character. She gets straight to the point and prefers facts and science. She is certainly very focused and I admired that about her. Addie is awkward too though and sometimes needs help when it comes to interacting with other people. After the first few pages, I quickly became invested in learning more about her. I would have really liked to read more about her relationship with her family and more about her friendship with Tess though.

There were several side characters that were interesting. However, I would have liked to see them developed more. Kris and Tess were both really important to the story, but I wanted to see the development of their characters pushed further. The few things that I did learn about both characters made me want to know them more. I especially felt that way regarding Kris because I didn't always understand why he made the choices that he made. Other than Kris and Tess though, I kept mixing up all of the other characters names. 

The plot was paced fairly well. There was a lot of drama and a bit of humor. I genuinely enjoyed the whole science and experiment aspect of the story. The first chapter immediately hooked me in, but then I felt like there were times when it slowed down in the middle. I found myself getting bored quite often and that certain scenes were dragging on for too long. The last quarter of the book did pick up the pace though and included an unexpected twist. I really liked the twist a lot, but it confused me a bit too. 

Overall, I liked This Is My Brain On Boys. If you're looking for a contemporary book that is heavy on science, then I definitely recommend picking this one up.  

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)