Thursday, June 16, 2016

Sing by Vivi Greene

Sing
By: Vivi Greene
Released: May 31, 2016
Source: Publisher
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

America’s most famous pop star flees the spotlight to recover from her latest break-up in Maine—only to fall for a local boy and be faced with an impossible choice at the end of the summer: her new guy, or her music. Multiplatinum pop icon Lily Ross’s biggest hits and biggest heartbreaks (because they are one and the same): 1. AGONY. (That feeling when her ex ripped her heart out of her chest and she never saw it coming.) 2. GHOSTS. (Because even famous people are ghosted by guys sometimes. And it sucks just as much.)  3. ONCE BITTEN. (As in: twice shy. Also, she’s never dating an actor or a musician ever again.) But this summer’s going to be different. After getting her heart shattered, Lily is taking herself out of the spotlight and heading to a small island in middle-of-nowhere Maine with her closest friends. She has three months until her fall tour starts-three months to focus on herself, her music, her new album. Anything but guys. That is . . . until Lily meets sweet, down-to-earth local Noel Bradley, who is so different from anyone she’s ever dated. Suddenly, Lily’s “summer of me” takes an unexpected turn, and she finds herself falling deeper and harder than ever before. But Noel isn’t interested in the limelight. She loves Noel-but she loves her fans, too. And come August, she may be forced to choose. (Goodreads)

I liked Sing. It was cute book that is perfect for the summer.

Sing is the story of Lily who is a famous pop star. After a break-up, she chooses to spend her summer in a small town in Maine with her best friends. She plans to work on new songs, but then she meets Noel.

Lily was an interesting character who appreciates her fame, but still wants an average life. I could definitely understand Lily's desire to still have a normal life on the days when she's on the cover of every tabloid. However, I could also see how passionate she was about her music and how grateful she was for her fans. I wanted her to be developed more thoroughly though because at times I did find her to be quite a flat character. She's had a few failed relationships and now she wants to just focus on herself. As much as I did love Lily with Noel, I did want to see her focus more on herself a bit longer. 

Sing had some interesting side characters. I really liked Noel a lot. He has a complicated home situation and he's trying to help out his dad. The scenes between him and Lily were really cute. I loved Lily's best friends, Tess and Sammy, the most though. They've both put their own lives on hold to work for Lily. I just really wanted even more of them in this book and more of a side story surrounding their characters. I especially wanted to read more scenes between Tess, Sammy, and Lily.

The plot was paced fairly well. At times I felt myself getting a bit bored, but then other times I felt like everything was moving too quickly. I did manage to finish this book all in one sitting though. I loved the setting in the small town in Maine. It was fun to see Lily in that atmosphere and it really gave you that whole summer feeling.

Overall I liked Sing. If you're looking for a short and sweet contemporary book to read this summer, then I recommend picking this one up. 


My Rating:
 

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I've been debating on whether or not I want to purchase this book, but it seems like it would be good for those times when I want something quick and sweet. I'm always intrigued by a book if the protagonist is a singer, and I think this seems like an interesting take on being a pop star. This almost seems like it was inspired by Taylor Swift haha!

    - Lefty @ The Left-Handed Book Lover

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a copy of this from Harper too and I've been contemplating whether or not I wanna read it. It definitely sounds like a good beach read, but maybe I'll save it for when I'm looking for something easy. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This definitely sounds cute, but I've read a couple of books that sound a little similar to it, so I don't know if I'd enjoy it as much as I'd like to. Great review though! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)