Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Learning to Swear in America by Katie Kennedy

Learning to Swear in America
By: Katie Kennedy
Released: July 5, 2016
Source: ARC from the Publisher
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

An asteroid is hurtling toward Earth. A big, bad one. Yuri, a physicist prodigy from Russia, has been called to NASA as they calculate a plan to avoid disaster. He knows how to stop the asteroid: his research in antimatter will probably win him a Nobel prize--if there's ever another Nobel prize awarded. But Yuri's 17, and having a hard time making older, stodgy physicists listen to him. Then he meets Dovie, who lives like a normal teenager, oblivious to the impending doom. Being with her, on the adventures she plans when he's not at NASA, Yuri catches a glimpse of what it means to save the world and save a life worth living. (Goodreads) 

I really enjoyed Learning to Swear in America. It was a quirky and funny story that was difficult to put down. 

Learning to Swear in America is the story of Yuri who is a seventeen year old physicist prodigy from Russia. When an asteroid is heading straight for Earth, NASA calls him in to help calculate a plan.

Yuri was a fairly well developed character. He is brilliant and already accomplished so much for his age, but at the same time, he doesn't know what it means to just be a teenager. I really liked the way that Kennedy showed what a huge transition coming to America was for Yuri. He's away from his home and doesn't know anybody so he experiences loneliness. However at the same time, he doesn't have the chance to really let that loneliness sink in though because he is trying to help save the world. It certainly didn't take long for me to be rooting for Yuri.

There were several interesting side characters, but I didn't find any of them to be that strongly developed. There were many scientists at NASA, but I struggled to keep their names straight. Then there was Dovie, the teen girl that Yuri meets. I liked Dovie a lot, but I wanted to know her more. I especially wanted the romance between Dovie and Yuri to be developed more as well. I did, however, really like how Dovie introduced Yuri to American culture and to what it means to be a teenager.

The plot was paced fairly well. For the most part, I couldn't put this book down, but I found that the ending dragged on a bit too long. I loved how science heavy this book turned out to be though. The humor will likely be a hit or a miss for some people. It is a unique and at times dark sense of humor. I personally found myself laughing out loud quite a few times, but then cringing at other moments for these characters.

Overall I really enjoyed Learning to Swear in America. If you're looking for something funny and different, then I recommend giving this one a try.

My Rating:

1 comment:

  1. So jelly :P I totally requested an ARC but was rejected. I want to read this one so badly, and I'm really glad you enjoyed it because that means it's worthwhile. I know this is like the ideal humor-filled contemporary I've been looking for this summer! I'm waiting for it to release so I can jump at getting it :D

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)