Monday, June 27, 2016

Defending Taylor by Miranda Kenneally

Defending Taylor
By: Miranda Kenneally
Released: July 5, 2016
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Captain of the soccer team, president of the Debate Club, contender for valedictorian: Taylor’s always pushed herself to be perfect. After all, that’s what is expected of a senator’s daughter. But one impulsive decision—one lie to cover for her boyfriend—and Taylor’s kicked out of private school. Everything she’s worked so hard for is gone, and now she’s starting over at Hundred Oaks High. Soccer has always been Taylor’s escape from the pressures of school and family, but it’s hard to fit in and play on a team that used to be her rival. The only person who seems to understand all that she’s going through is her older brother’s best friend, Ezra. Taylor’s had a crush on him for as long as she can remember. But it’s hard to trust after having been betrayed. Will Taylor repeat her past mistakes or can she score a fresh start? (Goodreads) 

I really enjoyed Defending Taylor. I love Miranda Kenneally's contemporary books and this was another great Hundred Oaks book.

Defending Taylor is the story of Taylor who is kicked out of private school after covering for her boyfriend. She has worked so hard for years to be perfect and now she has to start all over again

Taylor was a well developed character and someone that I could really connect with. She pushes herself so much to be perfect and she doesn't take the time to have fun. She's too worried about trying to make her parents proud and focusing on the future. Taylor has her flaws and she hasn't always made the best decisions. However, I understand the place that she's coming from in making these choices. 

This book had quite a few interesting side characters. I loved Taylor's older brother Oliver and wanted even more of him in this book. However, I really loved Ezra and I found his personal side storyline to be really interesting. The chemistry between Taylor and Ezra was strong and they were so cute together. They've known each other for years and have a bit of a complicated past. I loved the way the relationship between them developed though. I also loved seeing the return of some previous characters from the other Hundred Oaks books. It's always fun to find out what they are up to    

The plot was paced fairly well and I flew through this book quickly because I just couldn't put it down. I often find this is the case with Kenneally's books. She does a great job with writing real characters in real situations. I did wish it was developed a bit more in certain places though. I really wanted to see more of Taylor's relationships with her friends. I also wanted to see more of Taylor playing soccer because it's something she is so passionate about. Once I finished the last page, I just felt like there hadn't been enough soccer.   

Overall though, I really enjoyed Defending Taylor and I loved the whole message of this book. I definitely recommend picking this one up, especially if you're a fan of the Hundred Oaks books.

My Rating:
 

2 comments:

  1. So many people love this series and I still haven't had a chance to read them. Hopefully one of these days. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see you enjoyed this one. I'll be picking this book up soon (next, maybe?) and I'm excited for some contemporary that I can just fly through. I've only read Catching Jordan from Kenneally, and I don't remember anything that happened in it, really. I love reading relationships that have a complicated past, though, so now I'm really excited. Great review!

    - Lefty @ The Left-Handed Book Blogger

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)