Tuesday, May 17, 2016

The Wrath and The Dawn by Renée Ahdieh

The Wrath and The Dawn
By: Renée Ahdieh
Released: May 12, 2015
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

One Life to One Dawn. In a land ruled by a murderous boy-king, each dawn brings heartache to a new family. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, is a monster. Each night he takes a new bride only to have a silk cord wrapped around her throat come morning. When sixteen-year-old Shahrzad's dearest friend falls victim to Khalid, Shahrzad vows vengeance and volunteers to be his next bride. Shahrzad is determined not only to stay alive, but to end the caliph's reign of terror once and for all. Night after night, Shahrzad beguiles Khalid, weaving stories that enchant, ensuring her survival, though she knows each dawn could be her last. But something she never expected begins to happen: Khalid is nothing like what she'd imagined him to be. This monster is a boy with a tormented heart. Incredibly, Shahrzad finds herself falling in love. How is this possible? It's an unforgivable betrayal. Still, Shahrzad has come to understand all is not as it seems in this palace of marble and stone. She resolves to uncover whatever secrets lurk and, despite her love, be ready to take Khalid's life as retribution for the many lives he's stolen. Can their love survive this world of stories and secrets? (Goodreads)

I really enjoyed The Wrath and The Dawn a lot. As soon as I started reading this book, I couldn't put it down. 

The Wrath and the Dawn is the story of Shahrzad who volunteers to be the Caliph of Khorasan's next wife. Every bride that Khalid takes is dead by morning. Shahrzad wants to stop Khalid and get her revenge on him for killing his last bride, her best friend. However, Shahrzad learns that Khalid isn't who she thought he was and that the palace is holding secrets.

Shahrzad was an interesting and complex character. She is sacrificing a lot and potentially her own life by marrying Khalid. I admired her strength and persistence. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing her develop further in the next book though. Khalid was also a really complex character that I loved getting to know. He is hiding a lot and carrying a heavy burden on his shoulders. The relationship that forms between Shahrzad and Khalid is paced so well and it felt real. 

The plot was also paced really well and I loved how the story started right away. It made it difficult to put this book down for long. The suspense and twists especially kept me on the edge of my seat.  I couldn't believe it when I turned the page to find that I was already at the end. I absolutely loved the stories that Shahrzad told Khalid and the way that they connected with what was currently happening to these characters. Ahdieh did a wonderful job with it.  I also loved the setting and the palace. I'm especially looking forward to seeing it expanded even more in the next book.  

Overall I really enjoyed The Wrath and The Dawn a lot! If you're looking for a fresh and captivating fantasy, I highly recommend picking this one up because you won't be able to put it down. I can't wait until I can get my hands on The Rose and The Dagger and read what is next for these characters.    

 
My Rating:



3 comments:

  1. Fantastic review! This book sounds extremely interesting, and I love the cover. Now I'm super intrigued by the suspense and twists!! I need to read this one now. Thanks for the review.

    - Lefty @ The Left-Handed Book Lover

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, so glad you enjoyed it! The Wrath and the Dawn was one of the my favorite books of 2015, and The Rose and the Dagger doesn't disappoint! I hope you love it as well. Great review ^_^

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also loved how the story was told as well. I felt that it really pulled me in and completely captured my attention! Glad you enjoyed it! Wonderful review

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)