Monday, May 30, 2016

Gena/Finn by Hannah Moskowitz and Kat Helgeson

Gena/Finn
By: Hannah Moskowitz and Kat Helgeson
Released: May 17, 2016
Source: Finished copy from the publisher
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Gena (short for Genevieve) and Finn (short for Stephanie) have little in common. Book-smart Gena is preparing to leave her posh boarding school for college; down-to-earth Finn is a twenty-something struggling to make ends meet in the big city. Gena’s romantic life is a series of reluctant one-night-stands; Finn is making a go of it with long-term boyfriend Charlie. But they share a passion for Up Below, a buddy cop TV show with a cult fan following. Gena is a darling of the fangirl scene, keeping a popular blog and writing fan fiction. Finn’s online life is a secret, even from Charlie. The pair spark an unlikely online friendship that deepens quickly (so quickly it scares them both), and as their individual “real” lives begin to fall apart, they increasingly seek shelter online, and with each other. (Goodreads)

I really enjoyed Gena/Finn a lot. I tend to be picky about books that are told entirely through emails, blog posts, and text messages because I feel like the plot can get lost easily. However in the case of Gena/Finn, it was done really well.

Gena/Finn is the story of Gena and Finn who both love the tv show Up Below. Gena writes fan fiction and is finishing up her senior year of high school while Finn is trying to adjust to life after college. The two form an online friendship that quickly turns into much more. 

Gena and Finn were both interesting and fairly well developed characters. Both of them had their own voices that clearly differed from each other through their texts, emails, and blog posts. I really liked how you got to know each of these characters just as they were getting to know each other too. Gena is so focused on school and in between that time of the end of high school and the start of college. I really liked how open and upfront Gena could be at times. Whereas Finn is living in a new city with her boyfriend and trying to find a job. She isn't sure what the next step in her life will be and she isn't ready to make a huge commitment. Finn was definitely a character who I could connect with a lot.

I loved the way the relationship developed between Gena and Finn. They started a friendship over a common interest and it quickly, but realistically, developed into meaning so much more. It was clear just how much they both cared about each other and what their friendship meant to each other.

The plot was paced well and I read this book in one sitting because it moved along so quickly. I liked how it alternated back and forth between Gena and Finn because it kept the story moving. However, the last quarter of the book took an unexpected turn and I didn't love it. I didn't completely hate it either, but I just felt like it was very unexpected.  

Overall I really enjoyed Gena/Finn a lot and I definitely recommend picking this one up! It's a quick read about friendship, life, and the online community.      

My Rating:
 

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting read, although I dont do well with these kind of format books but I do admit that the synopsis intrigues me. Glad you enjoyed and great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! This sounds like a fun read, but I'm like you and don't usually like books written through epistolary format. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review! Gena and Finn sound like interesting characters. I definitely like the sound of this one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)