Monday, April 18, 2016

Reading Slumps

Reading Slumps:

Ever have one of those weeks when every book you pick up just isn't holding your attention? I wish reading slumps weren't so common for me, but unfortunately they happen. Sometimes I fall into one after reading a book that I really loved. Other times I just fall into one for no real reason at all. I have a few go-to steps that always help me get out of my slump though.

Reread An Old Favorite:
This is always my first go-to when I'm in a slump and it usually helps. I'll pick up either a beloved favorite or a favorite that I haven't reread in a long time. Just a few months ago I started rereading the Harry Potter series, which I haven't reread since I was really young, and it helped me get back into my reading routine.   


Read Something Other Than Young Adult:
I love to read Young Adult, but sometimes it helps to take a break. I have a stack of fiction books that I keep on hand for those weeks when I need to take a break. It's also relaxing to just read a book and not write a review on it. 


Take A Reading Break:
When rereading a favorite or reading something outside of Young Adult doesn't work, I take a break from reading all together. I love to read and it's a part of my daily routine, but I also believe that it's good to take a break sometimes. I'll usually take a few days or even a week off from reading to catch up on tv shows or movies instead of reading every night.     


So how do you get out of a reading slump?


 

4 comments:

  1. Rereading my favorite books always gets me out of my reading slumps! It reminds me why I love books so much and then I'll able to go back to my reading schedule ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with reading something other than Young Adult. In order to get out of one of my reading slumps I decided to pick up Mistborn, which is an adult fantasy. This was a great idea because it was much more fast-paced and really didn't have some classic YA book tropes and cliches.

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been in a reading slump for quite a while. I keep watching Netflix instead and it really blows! I will try reading one of my old favorites.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading slumps, how I loathe thee. I generally take a step back from reading. Play a video game or get into a TV series. But I always like picking up some favorite books and have a good reread. It all depends on my mood at that time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)