Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Dreamology by Lucy Keating

Dreamology
By: Lucy Keating
Released: April 12, 2016
Source: Edelweiss
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

For as long as Alice can remember, she has dreamed of Max. Together they have traveled the world and fallen deliriously, hopelessly in love. Max is the boy of her dreams—and only her dreams. Because he doesn’t exist. But when Alice walks into class on her first day at a new school, there he is. It turns out, though, that Real Max is nothing like Dream Max, and getting to know each other in reality isn’t as perfect as Alice always hoped. When their dreams start to bleed dangerously into their waking hours, the pair realize that they might have to put an end to a lifetime of dreaming about each other. But when you fall in love in your dreams, can reality ever be enough? (Goodreads) 

I liked Dreamology and read this one rather quickly. The whole concept of this book is what really caught my eye.

Dreamology is the story of Alice who has been dreaming of this boy named Max for years. In her dreams, Max is her boyfriend and they go on countless adventures together. When Alice moves to a new city and starts at a new school, she discovers that Max exists in real life. However, the real life Max isn't like the dream Max.

Alice was an interesting and well developed character. She lives with her scientist dad and beloved dog, Jerry. Her dad works a lot, so she is fairly independent. I really like how determined Alice is, especially with Max and figuring out why she has been dreaming of him for years. Max was an interesting and well developed character also. You first get to know him through Alice's dreams. But then you finally meet the real Max and realize that there are some differences. This is also what makes the relationship between Alice and Max really interesting too. I absolutely loved the dream relationship between Alice and Max. They were so cute and went on all of these fun adventures together. They have spent years developing this really special bond and it was so clear how much they cared for each other. However, the relationship between Alice and Max in the real world is quite different. I honestly felt like the real world relationship between Alice and Max was lacking development and emotion. The chemistry between them in the real world just wasn't flowing as naturally as it did in the dreams. 

Dreamology also had great side characters. Oliver quickly became one of my favorites after the first time we meet him. I just loved how he was fun and always there for Alice. Then there was Sophie, Alice's best friend from New York City. Sophie was a really great friend and another fun character to get to know. I definitely would have loved even more Oliver and Sophie in this book.

The plot grabbed my attention immediately and moved along at a quick pace. The story was filled with romantic, funny, and weird moments. There were definitely a lot of weird and quirky moments throughout this book that I loved. I especially enjoyed how the chapters alternated between Alice's dreams and real life. The dreams were so imaginative and fun. The ending, however, did become very predictable early on. I felt like it all just wrapped up too neatly and too quickly. 

Overall I liked Dreamology. I didn't love this book as much as I hoped. However, the concept and the characters really stood out.
     

My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I'll have to look into it. Despite what you mentioned my interest has been piqued.

    Cassandra @ Book & Movie Dimension a Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too bad you didn't love this book as much as I did, I'm obsessed with it! XD Lovely review though, thank you for sharing!

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)