Thursday, March 24, 2016

This is Where the World Ends by Amy Zhang

This is Where the World Ends
By: Amy Zhang
Released: March 22, 2016
Source: Edelweiss
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Janie and Micah, Micah and Janie. That’s how it’s been ever since elementary school, when Janie Vivien moved next door. Janie says Micah is everything she is not. Where Micah is shy, Janie is outgoing. Where Micah loves music, Janie loves art. It’s the perfect friendship—as long as no one finds out about it. But then Janie goes missing and everything Micah thought he knew about his best friend is colored with doubt. (Goodreads)
 

I loved Amy Zhang's previous book, Falling into Place, so I was really looking forward to reading this new book. While I did like This is Where the World Ends, I didn't love it as much as I wanted to.

This is Where the World Ends is the story of Janie and Micah. Janie and Micah have been friends ever since Janie moved next door when they were younger. However, they don't let anyone else know about their friendship. It isn't until Janie goes missing, that Micah starts to question everything he knew about his friend. 

Janie and Micah were interesting characters. Micah doesn't remember much from the night that Janie disappeared and he is now trying to piece together his memories. As a character, Micah came across as sort of flat to me. I wanted to know something about him that didn't involve his friendship with Janie. However, Janie was a much more complex character and I really liked reading her journal entries. Honestly, I struggled to connect with either of these characters though and because of that, I never became as invested in this story as I was hoping

I wanted to like this plot a lot more, but it just fell short for me. The plot is told in chapters divided by before and after Janie's disappearance. The events surrounding Janie's disappearance slowly unravel and at times it became confusing. I also found it to be increasingly repetitive and I felt like there were times when the story was just going in circles. Zhang's writing is stunning though and there were so many lines that I found myself writing down.

Overall I liked This is Where the World Ends. If you're a contemporary fan, then I recommend checking this one out. I also highly recommend picking up Falling into Place, if you haven't read it already.


My Rating:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)