Thursday, March 17, 2016

Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare

Lady Midnight
By: Cassandra Clare
Released: March 8, 2016
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

It’s been five years since the events of City of Heavenly Fire that brought the Shadowhunters to the brink of oblivion. Emma Carstairs is no longer a child in mourning, but a young woman bent on discovering what killed her parents and avenging her losses. Together with her parabatai Julian Blackthorn, Emma must learn to trust her head and her heart as she investigates a demonic plot that stretches across Los Angeles, from the Sunset Strip to the enchanted sea that pounds the beaches of Santa Monica. If only her heart didn’t lead her in treacherous directions… Making things even more complicated, Julian’s brother Mark—who was captured by the faeries five years ago—has been returned as a bargaining chip. The faeries are desperate to find out who is murdering their kind—and they need the Shadowhunters’ help to do it. But time works differently in faerie, so Mark has barely aged and doesn’t recognize his family. Can he ever truly return to them? Will the faeries really allow it? (Goodreads)


I loved Lady Midnight! I have waited years for this book and it was absolutely worth the wait. I loved being back in the world of Shadowhunters and Downworlders and I already can't wait to reread this book again.

Lady Midnight takes place five years after City of Heavenly Fire and is set at the Los Angeles Institute. Emma Carstairs and her parabatai, Julian Blackthorn, are investigating suspicious murders around Los Angeles that may be connected to the murder of Emma's parents. 

Emma was a well developed and complex protagonist and I loved getting to know her even better. She has never given up on finding out the truth about what really happened to her parents. I loved how fierce, loyal, and determined Emma was and it didn't take long for me to be rooting for her. She has her flaws too, but those flaws just made her more realistic. 

Then there was Julian who was another well developed and complex character. Julian has so much resting on his shoulders and he also lives with the effects from the Dark War. I really loved and admired how devoted he was to his family though. It was so clear how much he loved his brothers and sisters. I also loved the bond that Julian and Emma shared too. They've grown up with each other and have always looked out for one another. Now that they are parabatai, that bond is even stronger.

This book was filled with so many fantastic new characters and many familiar characters as well. I absolutely loved seeing some of my favorite characters again and the connections that they shared with Emma and Julian. I also loved getting to know Julian's siblings too though. Mark, Dru, Ty, Livvy, and Tavvy were all wonderful characters and I loved the close bond that the Blackthorne family shared. 

The plot was paced well and as soon as I started reading this book, it was difficult to put it down. I absolutely loved the setting in Los Angeles and running around the city with these characters. The plot was well developed and had a great balance of action, drama, humor, romance, and suspense. One of my favorite things about The Mortal Instruments series was the humor and I loved reading that in this book. There were several moments that had me laughing out loud. Clare also built up the suspense well and I loved trying to solve who was behind the murders alongside Emma and Julian.           

Overall I loved Lady Midnight a lot! It may have even just become my favorite Cassandra Clare book yet. This is one book you won't want to miss out on! I will definitely be counting down the days until the next book is released. 

My Rating:



3 comments:

  1. AHHHH I cannot wait to dive into this one, I just need to make some time. It sounds so good and everyone seems to be loving it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wanted to read TMI but I got disappointed with the latest news about CC. Now I'm doubting to start any of her books. Anyway, glad you liked this.


    Yani @ www.PaperBoulevard.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when books introduce amazing new characters and wonderful old characters. I really need to read more by Clare. I always read good things about her books. :)

    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)