Thursday, March 3, 2016

Burning Glass by Kathryn Purdie

Burning Glass
By: Kathryn Purdie
Released: March 1, 2016
Source: Edelweiss
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Sonya was born with the rare gift to feel what those around her feel—both physically and emotionally—a gift she’s kept hidden from the empire for seventeen long years. After a reckless mistake wipes out all the other girls with similar abilities, Sonya is hauled off to the palace and forced to serve the emperor as his sovereign Auraseer. Tasked with sensing the intentions of would-be assassins, Sonya is under constant pressure to protect the emperor. One mistake, one small failure, will cost her own life and the lives of the few people left in the world who still trust her. But Sonya’s power is untamed and reckless, her feelings easily usurped, and she sometimes can’t decipher when other people’s impulses end and her own begin. In a palace full of warring emotions and looming darkness, Sonya fears that the biggest danger to the empire may be herself. As she struggles to wrangle her abilities, Sonya seeks refuge in her tenuous alliances with the volatile Emperor Valko and his idealistic younger brother, Anton, the crown prince. But when threats of revolution pit the two brothers against each other, Sonya must choose which brother to trust—and which to betray. (Goodreads)

I liked Burning Glass. The premise for this one caught my eye months ago and I was really curious about this book. However, it turned out to be not what I was expecting.

Burning Glass is the story of Sonya who is an Auraseer, this means that she can feel what other people are feeling. Sonya has kept her gift hidden from the empire for years, but now she is being brought to the palace to serve the emperor. She must protect him from anyone who means him any harm.

Sonya was an interesting and flawed character. However, at times it was difficult to get a sense of who she was and what her own actual feelings were regarding certain characters and situations. When she feels what other people around her are feeling, she often acted on the feelings of that person because she was absorbing it. It definitely became confusing at times and I questioned every relationship that Sonya formed. I wanted more of who Sonya was when she wasn't being influenced by the feelings of others. The whole concept of the Auraseer was really interesting, but I was left with so many questions about it. 

There were also a lot of side characters and I honestly struggled with telling them apart at times. I kept needing to look back to remember who was who. I did like prince Anton, the most though, but I wanted more of him.  

The plot dragged on a lot, especially in the beginning because there was so much to set up. It took me a while to get invested in this book and I almost considered not finishing it a few times. The pacing would pick up for a few chapters, but then slow right back down. I definitely enjoyed the last quarter of the book the most though and I did not see many of the twists coming. I also really enjoyed the world that Purdie created. It was interesting and well developed.  

Overall, I liked Burning Glass and I will still probably pick up the next book because I am interested enough to see what happens next to these characters.   
 
My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. Dragging plots can be so annoying. Glad to hear you still liked it enough that you'll give the sequel a try, though.

    Majanka @ I Heart Reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww boo, shame this one didn't live up to your expectations. I think its coming up on my TBR soon, but now I'm a bit worried. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)