Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Unhooked by Lisa Maxwell


Unhooked
By: Lisa Maxwell
Released: February 2, 2016
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

For as long as she can remember, Gwendolyn Allister has never had a place to call home—all because her mother believes that monsters are hunting them. Now these delusions have brought them to London, far from the life Gwen had finally started to build for herself. The only saving grace is her best friend, Olivia, who’s coming with them for the summer. But when Gwen and Olivia are kidnapped by shadowy creatures and taken to a world of flesh-eating sea hags and dangerous Fey, Gwen realizes her mom might have been sane all along. The world Gwen finds herself in is called Neverland, yet it’s nothing like the stories. Here, good and evil lose their meaning and memories slip like water through her fingers. As Gwen struggles to remember where she came from and find a way home, she must choose between trusting the charming fairy-tale hero who says all the right things and the roguish young pirate who promises to keep her safe. With time running out and her enemies closing in, Gwen is forced to face the truths she’s been hiding from all along. But will she be able to save Neverland without losing herself? (Goodreads)

I really enjoyed Unhooked a lot! It was an exciting, dark, and different twist on Peter Pan.

Unhooked is the story of Gwen who moves around a lot with her mother. Her newest home is in London and her best friend, Olivia, has come along to help her settle in. Then one night Gwen and Olivia are taken by shadowy creatures and brought to Neverland. She learns quickly that this Neverland is nothing like the story. 

Gwen was a really interesting and well developed character. She has this complicated relationship with her mom at home and doesn't understand why her mom is always running. Then she is thrown into this world that, up until that point, she thought was just a story. She doesn't know who to trust, but she wants to get back home. I really liked getting to know Gwen and uncovering the truth about Neverland alongside her. She doesn't always make the best decisions, but I can understand why she makes those choices that she makes.

There were several well developed secondary characters too. I loved getting to know the Captain and Pan because both of these characters had really interesting backstories. My favorite was definitely the Captain though. He became quite a memorable character. I did, however, think that Gwen's best friend, Olivia, was a flat character. I wanted to know more about her. 

The plot was paced really well and it was hard to put this book down for long. There was a great balance of action and suspense. I also loved all of the twists. This book kept me guessing and it was tricky trying to figure out who was trustworthy and who wasn't. Maxwell did a fantastic job with building up the world of Neverland too. It had some of those familiar elements that I've always associated with Neverland, but she also gave it some new fresh characteristics as well.

Overall, I really enjoyed Unhooked a lot. I definitely recommend picking up this fresh twist on Peter Pan

My Rating:




 *Check out with my interview with the author, Lisa Maxwell, here.
 

2 comments:

  1. I'm currently watching Once Upon a Time and I just finished the part where everyone is in Neverland, so I'm really craving a book that has to do with Peter Pan. This retelling may be one that I'll have to pick up!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely adored this book! I wasn't that familiar with Peter Pan before reading it, but I could tell that there was this delicious dark twist on everything we learned about Neverland as a child. I loved it! I definitely see what you mean by Olivia being a flat character, though I personally didn't feel like she was flat. But yeah, it would have been nice to learn more about her. Great review!

    ~ Lefty @ The Left-Handed Book Lover

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)