Thursday, February 4, 2016

Don't Even Think About It By Sarah Mlynowski

Don't Even Think About It
By: Sarah Mlynowski
Released: March 11, 2014
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

We weren't always like this. We used to be average New York City high school sophomores. Until our homeroom went for flu shots. We were prepared for some side effects. Maybe a headache. Maybe a sore arm. We definitely didn't expect to get telepathic powers. But suddenly we could hear what everyone was thinking. Our friends. Our parents. Our crushes. Now we all know that Tess is in love with her best friend, Teddy. That Mackenzie cheated on Cooper. That, um, Nurse Carmichael used to be a stripper. Since we've kept our freakish skill a secret, we can sit next to the class brainiac and ace our tests. We can dump our boyfriends right before they dump us. We know what our friends really think of our jeans, our breath, our new bangs. We always know what's coming. Some of us will thrive. Some of us will crack. None of us will ever be the same. So stop obsessing about your ex. We're always listening. (Goodreads)

There are people who will love Don't Even Think About It, but unfortunately I wasn't one of them. I actually started this book a couple of years ago, but never finished it. I recently decided to give it another chance and I started from the beginning all over again. This time I made it through to the end, but my overall opinion didn't change all that much.

Don't Even Think About It is the story of a group of teens who receive more than just their flu shots one morning. They also get telepathic powers and can now hear the thoughts of others.   

I really wanted to like these characters, but I struggled to connect and care about them. This is mainly because I felt like I never got to know each character all that well. There are a lot of characters and this book is told through all of these different point of views. Plus these characters are also hearing the thoughts of others around them. It's a lot to take in and keep straight, especially at first. It did get a bit better as the story progressed, but I still felt like there were just too many characters to try to keep straight. I would have preferred to read this story from the perspective of just one or two characters instead. That way I could have gotten the chance to know them better and see them develop more. 

Then the voice and tone were really difficult to get used to. For me personally, the tone made it sound like these characters were better than everyone else. I especially got that feeling in the first couple of chapters. Out of all the characters, I liked Tess the most though. She was the most interesting and I was the most invested in her story line.

The plot wasn't what I was expecting it to be at all. I thought the story would focus more on the telepathic powers and the bigger picture of having powers, but it was more focused on the drama of hearing each others thoughts instead. This wasn't necessarily a bad thing though. The plot was filled with a lot of drama and paced fast. The story started right away and the drama began immediately too. The humor definitely took me by surprise and I mean this in a good way. Hearing the thoughts of others led to some really funny and awkward moments. The humor was certainly my favorite aspect of this book and what kept me reading at times.

Overall I thought that Don't Even Think About It was okay. I could definitely see how others could get past the way it was written and really enjoy it. However, this one just wasn't for me.  


My Rating:



5 comments:

  1. This one definitely sounds like a good read and I'm sorry to read that you just couldn't really get into to. I do get the feeling that the characters think they are better than others. I don't know if I'll pick this one up, but I loved your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this years ago and I remember feeling similarly to you. I'm pretty sure I wasn't fond of the characters and I just could not suspend disbelief for this plot because I didn't think the super powers aspect was that well developed. Great review!

    ~ Lefty @ The Left-Handed Book Lover

    ReplyDelete
  3. This doesn't sound like one for me either... the premise is cool but I am not good with too much teen drama. Hope your next read is better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to see you didn't like this one much! I may still give it a chance because it sounds really interesting.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't a huge fan of this one either. It just wasn't what I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)