Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Blackhearts by Nicole Castroman

Blackhearts
By: Nicole Castroman
Released: February 9, 2016
Source: Edelweiss
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Blackbeard the pirate was known for striking fear in the hearts of the bravest of sailors. But once he was just a young man who dreamed of leaving his rigid life behind to chase adventure in faraway lands. Nothing could stop him—until he met the one girl who would change everything. Edward "Teach" Drummond, son of one of Bristol's richest merchants, has just returned from a year-long journey on the high seas to find his life in shambles. Betrothed to a girl he doesn’t love and sick of the high society he was born into, Teach dreams only of returning to the vast ocean he’d begun to call home. There's just one problem: convincing his father to let him leave and never come back. Following her parents' deaths, Anne Barrett is left penniless and soon to be homeless. Though she’s barely worked a day in her life, Anne is forced to take a job as a maid in the home of Master Drummond. Lonely days stretch into weeks, and Anne longs for escape. How will she ever realize her dream of sailing to Curaçao—where her mother was born—when she's stuck in England?  From the moment Teach and Anne meet, they set the world ablaze. Drawn to each other, they’re trapped by society and their own circumstances. Faced with an impossible choice, they must decide to chase their dreams and go, or follow their hearts and stay. (Goodreads) 

I really enjoyed Blackhearts a lot. It was an interesting take on the origin story of Blackbeard and it was not easy to put this book down for long.

Blackhearts is the story of Blackbeard before he became Blackbeard and a young woman named Anne. Edward "Teach" Drummond is the son of a rich merchant and has just returned home after a year on the sea. He is betrothed to a girl he isn't in love with and wants nothing more than to return back to sea. Anne has recently lost both of her parents and has taken a job as a maid at the Dummond household. She wants to be free and sail to where her mother was born. 

Teach and Anne were both interesting and well developed characters. I really liked how the chapters alternated between both of them. At first, I didn't like Teach all that much. However, as the story progressed, I started to like him a lot more. He feels trapped by his father's expectations, but doesn't want to let him down either. It was just really interesting to read this spin on his life before he becomes Blackbeard. 

I especially loved reading the chapters in Anne's point of view though. Anne is tough, stubborn, and determined to get her freedom. I really loved the way the relationship developed between Teach and Anne too. The chemistry is there between them and they both share a lot in common.

The plot was paced well and as I mentioned earlier, it was difficult to put this book down. When I wasn't reading, I couldn't stop thinking about jumping right back in to this story. I did expect there to be a lot more action in this book though. It is Blackbeard's origin story after all. However, this didn't bother me all that much because the story still kept me captivated. There was a lot of drama, romance, and even a few twists to keep things interesting. I also really loved the setting in England and Castroman did a great job at immersing the reader in to the time period. 

Overall I really enjoyed Blackhearts a lot! I definitely recommend picking this one up because you won't want to put it down once you do! I will certainly be keeping my fingers crossed for another book set in this world with these characters.  


My Rating:



5 comments:

  1. I'v read everywhere that this book is great! I haven't read many retellings, but I'm really excited about this one.
    So glad you enjoyed it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'v read everywhere that this book is great! I haven't read many retellings, but I'm really excited about this one.
    So glad you enjoyed it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely have to pick this one up. The idea of the story, the characters, really pull me in. I find the concept intriguing! Lovely review

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely want to check this book out. I've been craving books about pirates. Great review! :D
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  5. The story of Blackbeard before he became Blackbeard...God, that sounds intriguing! So glad you enjoyed it, and wonderful review.


    Majanka @ I Heart Reading.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)