Tuesday, February 23, 2016

A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro

A Study in Charlotte
By: Brittany Cavallaro
Released: March 1, 2016
Source: Edelweiss
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

The last thing sixteen-year-old Jamie Watson–writer and great-great-grandson of the John Watson–wants is a rugby scholarship to Sherringford, a Connecticut prep school just an hour away from his estranged father. But that’s not the only complication: Sherringford is also home to Charlotte Holmes, the famous detective’s enigmatic, fiercely independent great-great-granddaughter, who’s inherited not just his genius but also his vices, volatile temperament, and expertly hidden vulnerability. Charlotte has been the object of his fascination for as long as he can remember–but from the moment they meet, there’s a tense energy between them, and they seem more destined to be rivals than anything else. Then a Sherringford student dies under suspicious circumstances ripped straight from the most terrifying of the Holmes stories, and Jamie and Charlotte become the prime suspects. Convinced they’re being framed, they must race against the police to conduct their own investigation. As danger mounts, it becomes clear that nowhere is safe and the only people they can trust are each other. (Goodreads)

I loved A Study in Charlotte! It was one of my most anticipated books of the year and it turned out to be everything and more that I hoped it would be.

A Study in Charlotte is the story of Jamie Watson, the great-great-grandson of the John Watson from the stories and Charlotte Holmes, the great-great granddaughter of the Sherlock Holmes. When Jamie gets a rugby scholarship, he moves from London to Connecticut to attend the same boarding school as Charlotte. However, when a student's death resembles a Sherlock Holmes story, Jamie and Charlotte become the main suspects. They team up to do their own investigation and prove their innocence. 

Jamie and Charlotte were both complex and well developed characters. They both have their flaws and make mistakes. However, they both learn from each other as well. I enjoyed getting to know Jamie and getting to know Charlotte through Jamie's eyes. I loved how Cavallaro gave them some characteristics similiar to the classic Sherlock and Watson, but still made Jamie and Charlotte their own separate characters as well. The dynamic between them was great too. I loved how their relationship developed through the course of the book. It has its ups and downs, but they make a good team. There were also several great side characters that I loved meeting.

The plot was exciting, unpredictable, and suspenseful. This book kept me on the edge of my seat and I loved trying to solve the case alongside Jamie and Charlotte. The case was complex and unpredictable. I also really liked how there were so many levels to it. I am a huge Sherlock Holmes fan and I've read all of Arthur Conan Doyle's stories. With that being said, I think Cavallaro did a wonderful job giving the classic stories and characters a fresh modern twist. I loved all of the connections between the classic stories and Jamie and Charlotte's investigation.

Overall I loved A Study in Charlotte. It had memorable characters and a great mystery. I can't wait to read all about Jamie and Charlotte's next case. This is definitely one book you won't want to miss this year!


My Rating:



2 comments:

  1. I always love a new take on Sherlock and Watson! I need a good mystery in my life. I will have to get this when it comes out. I also love the cover! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen many great things about this book, so it is on my tbr list!! 5 stars is terrific!!
    http://thebestbasicblogger.blogspot.com/2016/02/wishlist-winning-wednesday-house-theme.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)