Tuesday, January 12, 2016

The Distance From A to Z by Natalie Blitt

The Distance From A to Z
By: Natalie Blitt
Released: January 12, 2016
Source: Edelweiss
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Seventeen-year old Abby has only one goal for her summer: to make sure she is fluent in French—well, that, and to get as far away from baseball and her Cubs-obsessed family as possible. A summer of culture and language, with no sports in sight. That turns out to be impossible, though, because her French partner is the exact kind of boy she was hoping to avoid. Eight weeks. 120 hours of class. 80 hours of conversation practice with someone who seems to exclusively wear baseball caps and jerseys. But Zeke in French is a different person than Zeke in English. And Abby can’t help but fall for him, hard. As Abby begins to suspect that Zeke is hiding something, she has to decide if bridging the gap between the distance between who she is and who he is, is worth the risk. (Goodreads)

I really enjoyed The Distance from A to Z a lot. It was a really cute story that had great characters and handled some important topics.  

The Distance from A to Z is the story of Abby who is spending her summer taking an intensive French course to become fluent in the language. She is also using it as an opportunity to get away from her baseball obsessed family, but her partner in class wears baseball shirts and is just the type of guy that Abby wanted a break from. 

Abby was a great and well developed protagonist. She has her flaws and makes mistakes. She can be really judgmental at times too. I loved Abby's passion for the French language and culture. It was clear how dedicated she was to becoming fluent in the language. I loved the way she explained her fantasy of going to France one day too. I also really liked learning more about her childhood and her family. Then there is Zeke, Abby's partner in class. I loved getting to know Zeke better as the story progressed. I also really loved the way the relationship developed between him and Abby because it was realistic. 

This book was filled with plenty of interesting side characters, but my favorite was definitely Alice. Alice is Abby's roommate and a poet. I loved the friendship that developed between Alice and Abby. Their friendship was realistic and they learned a lot from each other.

The plot was fun and cute, without being corny. It also still had a good amount of drama to keep things interesting. I loved all of the French words and phrases that were incorporated into the story. I think I even learned a couple of words. At times the dialogue did feel a bit repetitive and the ending was predictable, but I still really enjoyed it. What I loved the most though, was that this book was even more than what I was expecting it to be. This book tackled some important topics really well. 

Overall I really enjoyed The Distance from A to Z. It was a well written contemporary story and I strongly recommend picking it up!


My Rating:

3 comments:

  1. I've heard quite a few good things about this book, so I might have to get my hands on it! I thought it was purely fluff (which isn't particularly a bad thing to me) but I'm happy to hear that it has a bit more depth to it than I expected. And I absolutely love when friendships are done well in books, so what you said about Abby is exciting! Thanks for the review!

    ~ Lefty @ The Left-Handed Book Lover

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby sounds like quite a character, one I would really enjoy and feel for. I've read some good things about this book and I'm very much curious about it. Glad you enjoyed it though the ending was a bit predictable. Will have to pick it up when I can.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)