Tuesday, January 5, 2016

The Boy Most Likely To by Huntley Fitzpatrick

The Boy Most Likely To
By: Huntley Fitzpatrick
Released: August 18, 2015
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

Tim Mason was The Boy Most Likely To:
- find the liquor cabinet blindfolded
- need a liver transplant
- drive his car into a house
Alice Garrett was The Girl Most Likely To:
- well, not date her little brother’s baggage-burdened best friend, for starters.

 For Tim, it wouldn’t be smart to fall for Alice. For Alice, nothing could be scarier than falling for Tim. But Tim has never been known for making the smart choice, and Alice is starting to wonder if the “smart” choice is always the right one. When these two crash into each other, they crash hard. Then the unexpected consequences of Tim’s wild days come back to shock him. He finds himself in a situation that isn’t all it appears to be, that he never could have predicted . . . but maybe should have. And Alice is caught in the middle. Told in Tim’s and Alice’s distinctive, disarming, entirely compelling voices, this return to the world of My Life Next Door is a story about failing first, trying again, and having to decide whether to risk it all once more. (Goodreads)

I really enjoyed The Boy Most Likely To. I loved My Life Next Door, so I was really excited for this companion book and to see the Garrett family once again. 

The Boy Most Likely To is the story of Tim and Alice. Tim is an alcoholic and has been kicked out of multiple high schools. He is trying to straighten his life out, but a consequence from his partying days has come back. Alice is busy trying to handle all of the responsibilities of running the household and taking care of her siblings while her parents have their hands filled with other problems. 

Both Alice and Tim were really well developed and complex characters. The book alternated between both of their point of views and I especially loved Alice's point of view. She is strong willed and likes to be in control. She is juggling so many responsibilities at home and just reading about a typical morning for her made me feel exhausted. Then there was Tim who is trying his best to turn his life around. He's made a lot of mistakes in the past and he is learning what it means to grow up. The relationship that forms between Alice and Tim was realistic and paced well.

The Boy Most Likely To also had so many great side characters. I loved seeing the whole big Garrett family and getting to know them even better. I especially liked seeing Samantha and Jase from My Life Next Door again too. 

The plot was paced well and the alternating point of view helped move the story along. I liked how at first Alice and Tim have separate story lines going on, but eventually it all comes together. There were a lot of subplots though and I wanted to see some of them expanded on a bit more. I thought some were wrapped up too quickly. However, the main plot line was really great and not at all what I expected it to be when I first picked this book up.

Overall I really enjoyed The Boy Most Likely To. I will be looking forward to Fitzpatrick's next book. I definitely recommend picking this one up and My Life Next Door if you haven't already read it.

  
My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see you liked this one! I was so so so excited when I heard about its release! I'm happy we get to know the crazy Garrett family a little better and that these characters are just as well developed as they are in Fitzpatrick's previous novel. Thanks for the great review!

    ~ Lefty @ The Left-Handed Book Lover

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really been meaning to read this one! The characters sound complex and I like that the book alternates POVs. Definitely have to pick this one up when I can.

    Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)