Tuesday, January 26, 2016

How My Summer Went Up In Flames by Jennifer Salvato Doktorski

How My Summer Went Up In Flames
By: Jennifer Salvato Doktorski
Released: May 7, 2013
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

Rosie’s always been impulsive. She didn’t intend to set her cheating ex-boyfriend’s car on fire. And she never thought her attempts to make amends could be considered stalking. So when she’s served with a temporary restraining order on the first day of summer vacation, she’s heartbroken—and furious. To put distance between Rosie and her ex, Rosie’s parents send her on a cross-country road trip with responsible, reliable neighbor Matty and his two friends. Forget freedom of the road, Rosie wants to hitchhike home and win back her ex. But her determination starts to dwindle with each passing mile. Because Rosie’s spark of anger? It may have just ignited a romance with someone new… (Goodreads)

I really wanted to like How My Summer Went Up in Flames a lot more. I love road trip books, but this one just fell short for me.

How My Summer Went Up in Flames is the story of Rosie who is served a temporary restraining order after setting her ex-boyfriend's car on fire. When her next door neighbor, Matty, suggests that she come along on a cross-country road trip with him and his friends, Rosie's parents agree. They think some time away from her ex-boyfriend will do Rosie good and keep her out of trouble.

Rosie was a character that I really struggled to like and understand. It wasn't until the end that I really started to like her. I am someone who loves unlikable characters, but Rosie was just too much for me at times. She's got an attitude and she's really judgmental. I just wish I could have understood where she was coming from when she made the decisions that she made. I still don't even understand her obsession with her ex-boyfriend. They didn't date for that long, plus he cheated on her.

There were some interesting side characters, but I felt like I never got to know any of them. I liked Matty, Spencer, and Logan a lot, but they all blurred together for most of the book. Their personalities were all too similar.  

I liked the plot, but the development was lacking and the pacing was rushed. I thought that the plot was rushing through things and I just wanted it to to slow down a bit, especially at certain big scenes. Then as I mentioned earlier the whole plot with Rosie's ex was confusing. There was so much back and forth that it became exhausting to keep up with at times. I definitely enjoyed the last quarter of the book the most though. I also did really enjoy the road trip aspect of this book and the fun locations that the group stopped at along their way. The majority of this book takes place during the road trip itself, but I still just wanted even more of it.

Overall I thought that How My Summer Went Up in Flames was okay. This book just wasn't for me, but I'm still curious about checking out the author's other books though.     
 
My Rating:



2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you didn't like this one. :/ I hate it when pacing feels rushed, so I may skip this one over instead of giving it a read. I don't know if that's something I'd be able to get over. Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts! :)
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd struggle to like Rosie too. She doesn't sound very likeable.


    Majanka @ I Heart Reading.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)