Tuesday, December 8, 2015

The Trouble With Destiny by Lauren Morrill

The Trouble With Destiny
By: Lauren Morrill
Released: December 8, 2015
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

 It’s not about the destination, it’s about the journey... With her trusty baton and six insanely organized clipboards, drum major Liza Sanders is about to take Destiny by storm—the boat, that is. When Liza discovered that her beloved band was losing funding, she found Destiny, a luxury cruise ship complete with pools, midnight chocolate buffets, and a $25,000 spring break talent show prize. Liza can’t imagine senior year without the band, and nothing will distract her from achieving victory. She’s therefore not interested when her old camp crush, Lenny, shows up on board, looking shockingly hipster-hot. And she’s especially not interested in Russ, the probably-as-dumb-as-he-is-cute prankster jock whose ex, Demi, happens be Liza’s ex–best friend and leader of the Athenas, a show choir that’s the band’s greatest competition. But it’s not going to be smooth sailing. After the Destiny breaks down, all of Liza’s best-laid plans start to go awry. Liza likes to think of herself as an expert at almost everything, but when it comes to love, she’s about to find herself lost at sea. (Goodreads)

I liked The Trouble with Destiny and thought it was a really cute story. I've read all of Lauren Morrill's previous books and while The Trouble with Destiny may not be my favorite book by her, I still enjoyed reading it.

The Trouble with Destiny is the story of Liza who is on a week long cruise with the school band. The cruise is hosting a talent show with a cash prize that can save the band.  However, her band's biggest competition is taking part in the talent show too. 

I liked Liza and she learns a lot about herself during her week on the cruise. I could relate to her intensity and seriousness when it came to what she loves.  She tends to get really intense when it came to the band and it was clear from the beginning that the band was really important to her. The rest of the band doesn't know that they are losing their funding so a lot of that stress to win the talent show is resting on her shoulders. However, her intensity gets her into many situations. Some of those situations were funny while other times, I was cringing with secondhand embarrassment. Liza was just a realistic teen girl though. She makes mistakes and she is unsure about what to do when it comes to her crush. 

The side characters, unfortunately, all fell quite a bit flat to me. My favorite side character was definitely Liza's best friend, Huck. I wanted to see even more of him. He was just a really good friend to Liza time and time again. However there were a lot of side characters in this book and at times I forgot who was who. They started to all blur together at times. This also led to the romance feeling quite flat too. While there were some really cute moments, the romance just lacked the chemistry and the connection.

The plot was paced fairly well. It slowed down a bit at times and I actually wanted to see the band playing music together even more. I definitely enjoyed the last half of the book the most though. However, what really saved this book for me were the many hilarious moments. Liza and the band get themselves into some funny situations in such a short amount of time. Also the setting on the cruise ship was really fun and different too. I haven't read many books that take place on a cruise, so it was fun running around the ship with Liza.

Overall I liked The Trouble with Destiny. It was a cute contemporary story with a fun setting.    

My Rating:
 

1 comment:

  1. I think you liked this one a bit more than I did, but I agree with you whole-heartedly about how some of the characters and the romance fell flat. AND YES I totally wish the band would have played together more. I felt like there was something missing when it came to the band, but I couldn't put my finger on it, and you just put it into words. It seems like such an obvious thing, but I just couldn't figure out what I wanted more of.

    I liked the humor of the story too. It kinda felt like I was reading an episode of Suite Life on Deck, which some authors wouldn't be able to pull off, but Morrill makes it fun.

    Great review!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)