Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Kissing in America by Margo Rabb

Kissing in America
By: Margo Rabb
Released: May 26, 2015
Source: Edelweiss
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

In the two years since her father died, sixteen-year-old Eva has found comfort in reading romance novels—118 of them, to be exact—to dull the pain of her loss that’s still so present. Her romantic fantasies become a reality when she meets Will, who seems to truly understand Eva’s grief. Unfortunately, after Eva falls head-over-heels for him, he picks up and moves to California without any warning. Not wanting to lose the only person who has been able to pull her out of sadness—and, perhaps, her shot at real love—Eva and her best friend, Annie, concoct a plan to travel to the west coast to see Will again. As they road trip across America, Eva and Annie confront the complex truth about love. (Goodreads)

I liked Kissing in America. This story took you along on a trip for romance.

Kissing in America is the story of Eva who loves to read romance novels. When she meets Will, she feels like her romance fantasies are coming true. However, when he moves across the country, Eva makes a plan to see him again. 

Eva was a well developed protagonist. She learns a lot about herself through the course of the book. She is a flawed character who lives in her own little world. She lost her dad in an accident two years ago, but she is still understandably grieving. She finds an escape with her romance novels. Her and her mom have a complicated relationship. Their relationship was actually my favorite aspect of this book. Eva and her mom never talk about her dad and what happened to him. It's causing a strain on their relationship and it just continues to grow the longer they avoid talking about it. Her mom also hates that Eva loves romance novels so much and wants her to stop having these romantic fantasies.

There are some interesting side characters throughout this book. My favorite was Eva's best friend, Annie, though. Annie is a really good and loyal friend to Eva. Honestly, I wanted even more of Annie in this book. 

Then there is Eva's relationship with Will. They form a bond over similar interests and Eva feels like he understands her. Their relationship is insta-love, but that's the whole point in this book. Eva and Will are friends for some time, but they still don't really know each other all that well before he moves away.

Kissing in America was not what I expected, it turned out to be something entirely different. The plot was paced fairly well. It held my attention, but at times I felt like it was dragging on a bit. I liked the whole road trip across country that Eva makes with her best friend Annie. However, I just wanted more from it. I wanted more of the setting from each place they stopped in along the way. They encounter a few exciting moments, but for the most part, the trip was the slowest part of this book for me. I expected it to be the part I enjoyed the most, but instead I enjoyed the last half of the story the most. I liked how Rabb broke the book into sections though and I loved the poems and quotes she chose before each section.

Overall I liked Kissing in America. It was an unexpected contemporary story about growing up and falling in love.

My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. I typically love road trip stories, but if that's the slowest part, I'm not sure if this is the book for me. However, I do find it refreshing to see that there is both a solid friendship between two girls, and a mother who is present in the novel. It seems like those are two aspects that can be hard to find in YA, and to have them both in one book is like a Christmas miracle. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though the book felt like it lagged and there were a few things you wanted more of, I'm glad you still enjoyed it. I do love the sound of the book, finding one's self, love, and a wonderful friendship! It sounds like it was a sweet read :)

    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)