Thursday, December 3, 2015

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

A Court of Thorns and Roses
By: Sarah J. Maas
Released: May 5, 2015
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world. As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, and Feyre must find a way to stop it... or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever. (Goodreads)

I loved A Court of Thorns and Roses! I could not put this book down from the moment I started it. Sarah J. Maas just has a way with writing a fantasy story that will completely suck you in. 

A Court of Thorns and Roses is the story of Feyre who is dragged to the land of the Fae after she kills a wolf in the woods. As she learns more about the world of the Fae and the powerful Fae who brought her there, she realizes that many of the legends she grew up hearing aren't all that true. 

Feyre is a complex and well developed protagonist. She has been carrying the weight of her family and taking care of them for so long now. Her whole world is flipped upside down when she is forced to go live in the Fae world. I loved that she is fierce and independent, but still has moments where she is afraid and feels weak. It made her seem so real and made her a character I could relate to. I also loved that Feyre has her flaws. She's stubborn and that can get her into some bad situations. One of the most interesting aspects about Feyre though is her struggle with her conscience. She's had to make some extremely difficult choices in order to survive. It has an effect on her and will continue to do so as the series continues.

I loved Tamlin and getting to know him through Feyre's perspective. There is so much more to him than meets the eye. He's had the weight of trying to save his kingdom on his back for so long now. I thought that the relationship that develops between Tamlin and Feyre was paced really well. They both learn so much from each other and find a sense of understanding in each other as well.

This book was packed with plenty of fascinating side characters such as Lucien, Alis, and Rhysand. I especially loved Lucien, he is one of Tamlin's closest friends. I just really loved the friendship between him and Tamlin. Some of my favorite scenes were the dinners between him, Tamlin, and Feyre. 

The plot was developed and paced well. A Court of Thorns and Roses is filled with action, drama, and romance. I loved all of the surprising twists, especially during the last half of the book. I couldn't wait to get back to reading, every time I had to put this book down. Beauty and the Beast is one of my absolute favorite fairy tales, so I loved all of the nods to it throughout this book. It was fun seeing how the characters resembled the characters from the fairy tale in some ways.

Maas did a wonderful job creating a world that I still can't stop thinking about. The world that Feyre lives in is both fascinating and terrifying. It was really interesting to learn all about the Fae and their powers. I liked how Maas slowly introduced more and more information about the Fae as the story progressed.

Overall I loved A Court of Thorns and Roses and will be counting down the days until the next book in this series comes out. It was a suspenseful story filled with characters that I have grown very attached to. I strongly recommend picking up this book as soon as possible. You won't be able to put it down once you start.
 

My Rating:
 



5 comments:

  1. Call me crazy but I actually preferred the first half over the second! Regardless, I agree that Feyre is a wonderfully complex character, her family fascinated me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also just loved this book! I can not wait for the sequel =D

    Emily @ Falling For YA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rather enjoyed ACOTAR but looking back it feels like we read two different once the story reached a certain point. I am definitely curious about where Maas is going to take the story next. For once it feels like I have no idea what is going to happen.

    Dreams @ Once Upon A Dream Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved that you enjoyed this one so much. The world truly intrigues me and I really can't wait until I have the time to pick this one up. I really want to get lost in this world.

    lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Completely agree! I loved this book so much! Feyre is fantastic and I adored Tamlin and Lucian. And Rhysand has me intrigued. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)