Friday, November 20, 2015

Thank You to The Hunger Games

(Photo credit: my sister)
Today Mockingjay Part 2 is out in theaters! I feel like I have been caught up in the world of The Hunger Games for the past 5 years and this week feels like a goodbye of sorts.

I first picked up The Hunger Games on August 19, 2010 (yes I still have the receipt saved inside my copy) and stayed up all night reading the book. I rushed out to grab Catching Fire the following day and stayed up again that night reading. I was so absorbed in this world that Suzanne Collins created. Luckily, I only had to wait a few days until Mockingjay was released. At midnight I bought the book and I finished early that morning. After that I was in a Hunger Games daze for months and I couldn't stop talking about the series. I dressed up as Katniss for Halloween that year. I even bought the whole series for my sister and told her she had to read these books. Once she read them, it became a series we could talk about together. Eventually our book discussions turned into discussions on the movie filming. My sister was even lucky enough to meet Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson while they were doing press for the movie. 

Before I knew it, The Hunger Games movie was here and my sister and I attended the midnight showing wearing our matching Hunger Games shirts and Mockingjay pins. The theater was packed that night and right before the movie started a young girl dressed as Katniss walked to the front of the theater and gave the three finger salute. Everyone in the theater stood up to raise their hands and that was when I realized just how big this movie was about to be. My dad even became a fan after he saw the movie and over the years we have seen the movies together.

(photo credit: my sister)
These books and movies have grown to mean even more to me as the years have passed. It became something that I shared with my family. We saw the movies in theaters together more than once. We discussed the characters, plot, and themes over the dinner table at night. We even attended the Hunger Games exhibition together this past summer. What has really resonated the most with me from these books and movies though is the relationship between Katniss and Prim. My sister and I are really close so to see a bond like ours in these books and movies was important to us. Honestly I could go on for hours about all of the themes within this series, but I won't. Instead all I will say is that Katniss Everdeen has truly taught me so much.


(Before The Hunger Games midnight showing)

This certainly isn't a goodbye though because I will absolutely be rereading this series and rewatching the movies for years to come. However, I do want to say thank you to Suzanne Collins. Thank you for writing a story that has become so important to not just me, but to so many other people around the world. Thank you for giving me so many treasured memories these past 5 years.


What is your favorite part of The Hunger Games books or movies?

1 comment:

  1. Man I can't believe it's over. Your sister is so lucky to have met JLaw :)

    And I am in LOVE with that shirt! I have to wait until Sunday to watch it, that'll give me time to prepare my tears.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)