Monday, November 9, 2015

A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray

A Thousand Pieces of You
By: Claudia Gray
Released: November 4, 2014
Source: Publisher
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Marguerite Caine’s physicist parents are known for their radical scientific achievements. Their most astonishing invention: the Firebird, which allows users to jump into parallel universes, some vastly altered from our own. But when Marguerite’s father is murdered, the killer—her parent’s handsome and enigmatic assistant Paul—escapes into another dimension before the law can touch him. Marguerite can’t let the man who destroyed her family go free, and she races after Paul through different universes, where their lives entangle in increasingly familiar ways. With each encounter she begins to question Paul’s guilt—and her own heart. Soon she discovers the truth behind her father’s death is more sinister than she ever could have imagined. A Thousand Pieces of You explores a reality where we witness the countless other lives we might lead in an amazingly intricate multiverse, and ask whether, amid infinite possibilities, one love can endure. (Goodreads)

I really enjoyed A Thousand Pieces of You. It was an exciting adventure filled with drama and unexpected twists. I've read some of Claudia Gray's previous books, so I have certainly been looking forward to starting this series for some time now. I must admit though, a huge part of the reason why I wanted to read this book was because of the gorgeous cover. This is easily one of my favorite book covers of all time. I love the colors and it looks even better in person. Also after reading the book, I think that it really fits the story well.

A Thousand Pieces of You is the story of Marguerite who is chasing the man who killed her father. Her parents invented a device that would allow a person to jump into parallel universes. Now that her father is dead, Marguerite is following his killer through different universes. However, with each new universe that Marguerite travels to, she is learning more about the truth surrounding her his death.

Marguerite was an interesting protagonist who I enjoyed getting to know. First I have to say that she is brave to go after the man who killed her father. She may have made the decision too quickly, but she was still brave to jump into another universe. Marguerite really learns a lot about herself and the people in her life during the course of the book. There were also plenty of other fascinating side characters that she meets along the way. I really liked getting to know Paul and Theo, who were both her parent's assistants.  

The plot was paced well and had a great balance of drama and romance. It didn't take long for me to finish this book at all. I was worried that based on the summary, this story could get confusing fast. However, that definitely wasn't the case here. Gray did a really great job explaining things. She set up the story well in the beginning and from there, it moved forward at a good pace. I liked that there were even some flashbacks to the past because that helped establish what Marguerite's relationship was like with her parents, Paul, and Theo. There were also so many good twists that I didn't predict, so I liked how this book kept me on the edge of my seat.

My favorite aspect of this story was definitely jumping into each parallel universe though. Each universe was fascinating and unique. I loved how some were similar to her own while others were really different. It was exciting to go along with her and my favorite was definitely the London universe. Gray just did a really great job setting up each of these universes. I especially liked that Marguerite could only jump into a universe where some version of herself already existed. It was interesting to see the life that the other versions of herself was living. 

Overall I really enjoyed A Thousand Pieces of You. This book took me along on an exciting adventure through memorable settings. I definitely recommend picking this one up.

My Rating:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)