Thursday, October 15, 2015

Black Widow: Forever Red by Margaret Stohl

Black Widow: Forever Red
By: Margaret Stohl
Released: October 13, 2015
Source: ARC from BEA
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Enter the world of the Avengers' iconic master spy. Natasha Romanoff is one of the world's most lethal assassins. Trained from a young age in the arts of death and deception, Natasha was given the title of Black Widow by Ivan Somodorov, her brutal teacher at the Red Room, Moscow's infamous academy for operatives. Ava Orlova is just trying to fit in as an average Brooklyn teenager, but her life has been anything but average.The daughter of a missing Russian quantum physicist, Ava was once subjected to a series of ruthless military experiments-until she was rescued by Black Widow and placed under S.H.I.E.L.D. protection. Ava has always longed to reconnect with her mysterious savior, but Black Widow isn't really the big sister type. Until now. When children all over Eastern Europe begin to go missing, and rumors of smuggled Red Room tech light up the dark net, Natasha suspects her old teacher has returned-and that Ava Orlova might be the only one who can stop him. To defeat the madman who threatens their future, Natasha and Ava must unravel their pasts. Only then will they discover the truth about the dark-eyed boy with an hourglass tattoo who haunts Ava's dreams. . . . (Goodreads)

I really enjoyed Black Widow: Forever Red. I'm a huge fan of this whole concept of bringing Black Widow and other comic book characters to life in a Young Adult book. I was expecting this book to be something entirely different and focus more on Natasha Romanoff herself. However, this isn't just Natasha's story and I really liked these new characters that Stohl introduced into a world that I already love.

Black Widow: Forever Red is the story of Natasha and Ava. Natasha saved Ava when she was a child from her former teacher, Ivan, and left Ava in the hands of S.H.I.E.L.D. Years later, Ava is just trying to live a normal life, but she keeps having these dreams about a boy. Also children are starting to disappear again and Ivan is back.

I liked how the chapters alternated between Natasha, Ava, and Alex. All three of these characters have an interesting connection with each other. I especially enjoyed Natasha's chapters because it's the Black Widow. I have loved this character for years and I think that Stohl did a great job at capturing her voice. She showed a different side to Natasha. Then Ava and Alex were really interesting and well developed characters. I loved how you learned more about them and what their place in this world was as the story progressed. It was also really fun to see some other characters that I love from the Marvel Universe pop up throughout this book.

The plot took some time to really hook me in. It started off great and with a big action packed scene, but then it slowed down a bit. It took some time for it to really grab my attention again. I actually ended up putting this book aside for a few months. However, I refused to give up on it and I'm happy I didn't. I loved the last quarter of this book a lot and couldn't put it down. The twists and action in the end is definitely what saved this book for me. I also really loved the case transcript pages at the beginning of each chapter. Those were fun to read and just made me feel even more like I was a part of this world. 

Overall I really enjoyed Black Widow: Forever Red. It had a few bumps, but the last quarter of this book made up for that. I absolutely recommend picking up this book, especially if you are a Black Widow fan. I'll definitely be looking forward to the sequel.    


My Rating:
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)