Monday, September 14, 2015

Tonight the Streets Are Ours by Leila Sales


Tonight the Streets Are Ours
By: Leila Sales
Release Date: September 15, 2015
Source: ARC from BEA
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Seventeen-year-old Arden Huntley is recklessly loyal. Taking care of her loved ones is what gives Arden purpose in her life and makes her feel like she matters. But she's tired of being loyal to people who don't appreciate her—including her needy best friend and her absent mom.  Arden finds comfort in a blog she stumbles upon called "Tonight the Streets Are Ours," the musings of a young New York City writer named Peter. When Peter is dumped by the girlfriend he blogs about, Arden decides to take a road trip to see him. During one crazy night out in NYC filled with parties, dancing, and music—the type of night when anything can happen, and nearly everything does—Arden discovers that Peter isn't exactly who she thought he was. And maybe she isn't exactly who she thought she was, either. (Goodreads) 

I enjoyed reading Tonight the Streets Are Ours. Leila Sale's previous book, This Song Will Save Your Life, is one of my favorite books so I was really excited to read this one.

Tonight the Streets Are Ours is the story of Arden who is always putting others before herself. She feels like neither her friends or her family appreciate all that she does for them though. Then she starts to read a blog called Tonight the Streets Are Ours and feels like she connects with the blogger behind it. 

Arden was an interesting character and I felt somewhat of a connection to her early on. She is a character who does a lot of self discovery throughout the book. I liked how the book started with a story from her childhood and showed the reader how even from a young age, she was someone who was always rescuing her best friend. Also right from the beginning, the reader sees that Arden has a lot of complicated relationships with the people in her life. She is always taking the fall for her best friend. Her boyfriend doesn't pay much attention to her. Her dad never spends time at home and her mom left. I liked seeing how all of these different relationships grew and developed over the course of the book. 

The plot was interesting, but didn't really pick up until the last quarter of the book. I found myself getting bored a lot during the middle because there just wasn't much going on. I felt like it was getting repetitive. I still felt like the ending left me wanting more too. What really saved this book for me though was Sale's gorgeous writing. There were so many beautiful quotes throughout this book about love and what it means to love a family member, a friend, or a significant other. The overall theme of love and sacrifice was done well.

Overall I enjoyed Tonight the Streets Are Ours

My Rating:
 



1 comment:

  1. I love the theme of the book. Self discovery books have always been a favorite of mine, maybe because I too can connect with them quite a bit. Arden sounds like a character I could really understand and one I would enjoy reading about. Hopefully I can pick this one up as well!

    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)