Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Until Friday Night by Abbi Glines

Until Friday Night
By: Abbi Glines
Release Date: August 25, 2015
Source: ARC from BEA
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

To everyone who knows him, West Ashby has always been that guy: the cocky, popular, way-too-handsome-for-his-own-good football god who led Lawton High to the state championships. But while West may be Big Man on Campus on the outside, on the inside he’s battling the grief that comes with watching his father slowly die of cancer. Two years ago, Maggie Carleton’s life fell apart when her father murdered her mother. And after she told the police what happened, she stopped speaking and hasn’t spoken since. Even the move to Lawton, Alabama, couldn’t draw Maggie back out. So she stayed quiet, keeping her sorrow and her fractured heart hidden away. As West’s pain becomes too much to handle, he knows he needs to talk to someone about his father—so in the dark shadows of a post-game party, he opens up to the one girl who he knows won’t tell anyone else. West expected that talking about his dad would bring some relief, or at least a flood of emotions he couldn’t control. But he never expected the quiet new girl to reply, to reveal a pain even deeper than his own—or for them to form a connection so strong that he couldn’t ever let her go… (Goodreads)

I liked Until Friday Night. I've read a lot of Abbi Glines books and while I don't absolutely love them, I don't hate them either. They are quick and enjoyable stories.

Until Friday Night is the story of West and Maggie. West is a popular football player, but he is hiding that his dad is dying of cancer. Maggie is new to town and has just moved in with her aunt and uncle. Two years ago she saw her dad kill her mom and she hasn't spoken a word since. West finally opens up about his dad to Maggie and soon West and Maggie form a connection that just continues to grow stronger. 

I liked how the chapters alternated between West and Maggie. Both of these characters are so different from each other, but they share a similar type of pain and grief. I wanted more development from these characters though, especially with Maggie. Maggie has such a tragic past and I think she was developed way too quickly. Her personal story, separate from her relationship with West, felt rushed.

The plot held my attention and it had a good balance of drama and romance. There was a lot of heartbreaking moments, but a lot sweet moments too. I liked the whole small town setting, but I would have definitely liked for there to be more football though. I thought that this book was going to be centered around a lot more football, but it surprisingly wasn't that big of a part of the story. Also aside from the characters, I would have liked to see the plot developed more consistently as well. I felt like a lot of moments were rushed and the ending left me with a couple of lingering questions too.

Overall I liked Until Friday Night. I would definitely recommend it to any Abbi Glines fans. 


My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)