Tuesday, July 28, 2015

The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord


The Start of Me and You
By: Emery Lord
Released: March 31, 2015
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

It’s been a year since it happened—when Paige Hancock’s first boyfriend died in an accident. After shutting out the world for two years, Paige is finally ready for a second chance at high school . . . and she has a plan. First: Get her old crush, Ryan Chase, to date her—the perfect way to convince everyone she’s back to normal. Next: Join a club—simple, it’s high school after all. But when Ryan’s sweet, nerdy cousin, Max, moves to town and recruits Paige for the Quiz Bowl team (of all things!) her perfect plan is thrown for a serious loop. Will Paige be able to face her fears and finally open herself up to the life she was meant to live? (Goodreads)

I really enjoyed The Start of Me and You a lot. This was one of my most highly anticipated books of the year because I absolutely loved Emery Lord's debut, Open Road Summer.

The Start of Me and You is the story of Paige who's about to start her junior year of high school. It's been a year since her boyfriend drowned in an accident and Paige is finally ready for a new start.

Paige was an interesting protagonist who develops a lot through the course of the story. She's been mourning her boyfriend for longer than she dated him. She comes up with a plan of things to do during the year as a way to start moving forward again. The more I got to know Paige, the more I liked her. She has a good heart. I love the relationship that she shares with her grandmother because her love for her comes right off of the pages. I also love how Paige is really into television and is thinking about maybe becoming a television writer. Then there is the love that Paige has for her friends. 

This book is filled with great side characters. First there is Max, who is so adorable and nerdy. Then there are Paige's best friends Tessa, Morgan, and Kayleigh. One of my favorite aspects of this book was the relationship that Paige shared with her best friends. These girls love and support each other. They form their own little family. They may have their disagreements, but they're always there for each other. I loved the way that Lord wrote this friendship and made it a major part of the story. 

The plot took me a while to grab my attention. I started this book a couple of months ago, but I just couldn't get into it because it started off slow. I put it aside and finally went back to it recently and I'm really happy that I did. Even though I struggled to get through the first eighty pages, this book absolutely paid off after that. The plot picked up the pace and I couldn't put this book down. I became really invested in these characters. By the time I finished the last page, I remembered why I loved Open Road Summer so much all over again. Lord's writing is stunning and I found myself writing down so many quotes. From the middle to the end, I laughed out loud at times and was brought to tears at other moments.

Overall, I really enjoyed The Start of Me and You. It's a beautifully written story about moving forward, friendship, and love. I definitely recommend picking up a copy.  

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)