Thursday, July 16, 2015

Nowhere But Here by Katie McGarry

Nowhere But Here
By: Katie McGarry
Released: May 26, 2015
Source: Edelweiss
Purchase the Book: Amazon

Seventeen-year-old Emily likes her life the way it is: doting parents, good friends, good school in a safe neighborhood. Sure, she's curious about her biological father—the one who chose life in a motorcycle club, the Reign of Terror, over being a parent—but that doesn't mean she wants to be a part of his world. But when a reluctant visit turns to an extended summer vacation among relatives she never knew she had, one thing becomes clear: nothing is what it seems. Not the club, not her secret-keeping father and not Oz, a guy with suck-me-in blue eyes who can help her understand them both. Oz wants one thing: to join the Reign of Terror. They're the good guys. They protect people. They're…family. And while Emily—the gorgeous and sheltered daughter of the club's most respected member—is in town, he's gonna prove it to her. So when her father asks him to keep her safe from a rival club with a score to settle, Oz knows it's his shot at his dream. What he doesn't count on is that Emily just might turn that dream upside down. No one wants them to be together. But sometimes the right person is the one you least expect, and the road you fear the most is the one that leads you home. (Goodreads)

I really enjoyed Nowhere But Here. I'm a big fan of McGarry's Pushing the Limits series, so I was really excited to start this new series. Just like the Pushing the Limits series, the first book in the Thunder Road series, introduces a great group of interesting characters.

Nowhere But Here is the story of Emily who doesn't have much of a relationship with her biological dad. Her dad is part of a motorcycle club and she didn't grow up near him. However, a funeral brings her to his hometown and the short visit turns into an extended one. It's during her stay that Emily meets a family she never knew about and learns about all of the secrets her parents are keeping from her. She also meets Oz. Oz wants to join the motorcycle club and has been instructed to protect Emily while she's in town. However, the two begin to unexpectedly grow closer.

Emily was a well developed character. I loved that the book began at her home because it showed how comfortable she was in her life there. Once she arrives in her biological dad's hometown, her whole life is thrown upside down. At first Emily starts off as this quiet good girl, but as you get to know her better, you see that there are so many more layers to her. Oz was also a well developed character. Oz has always wanted to join the motorcycle club and become a bigger part of the family that the club has created for themselves. I enjoyed how the chapters alternated between Emily and Oz. At first they seem to be so completely different, but then you start to see that they're a lot alike in some ways too.

The plot hooked me in from the beginning and I couldn't put this book down. I finished it within a day because I just needed to know what would happen to these characters. This plot was also filled with so much drama. Of course there was some romance, but there was a whole lot of drama too. Emily's family kept a lot of secrets and told many lies. Some of it became predictable, but there were a few things that still surprised me.

Overall, I really enjoyed Nowhere But Here. I definitely recommend this one to fans of contemporary books and to any Kate McGarry fans. I will certainly be looking forward to reading about the other characters in the upcoming books in this new series.         
 
My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. I've wanted to check this one out for the longest time! I feel like I'm the only person who hasn't read anything by Katie McGarry. Everyone seems to love her books. Great review!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I really enjoyed this one too and I loved watching Emily progress as a character. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)