Monday, April 27, 2015

Sophomore Year Is Greek to Me by Meredith Zeitlin

Sophomore Year Is Greek to Me 
By: Meredith Zeitlin
Released: April 21, 2015
Source: Publisher
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

High school sophomore Zona Lowell has lived in New York City her whole life, and plans to follow in the footsteps of her renowned-journalist father. But when he announces they’re moving to Athens for six months so he can work on an important new story, she's devastated— he must have an ulterior motive. See, when Zona's mother married an American, her huge Greek family cut off contact. But Zona never knew her mom, and now she’s supposed to uproot her entire life and meet possibly hostile relatives on their turf? Thanks... but no thanks. (Goodreads)


I really enjoyed Sophomore Year Is Greek to Me a lot. I was so excited for this book because I loved Zeitlin's previous book, Freshmen Year and Other Unnatural Disasters

Sophomore Year Is Greek to Me is the story of Zona who has lived in New York City with her dad until he moves them to Greece to work on a story. Zona's mother was from Greece as well and there is a whole family that she has never had any contact with before. She much rather just stay in New York with her friends though.

Zona was a well developed and realistic protagonist. She is going through a huge change and is in a new country with a new language without her best friends. The relationship with her dad isn't perfect, but I liked what they shared. They have been all each other has had. I especially loved the headlines notes that they would leave for each other.

The plot was interesting and it was hard to put this book down for long. I especially liked that this story was really about friendship. I also loved that we got see a bit of Zona's life in New York City before she moved to Greece because I think it helped show just what a huge change Zona was experiencing. I loved getting to explore both of those cities with Zona too. 

I love Zeitlin's writing style and humor in her previous book so I was happy to see that again in this one. Zona's voice was strong, fun, and hilarious. I really liked how the headlines and articles that Zona came up with were woven into the story.

Overall I really enjoyed Sophomore Year Is Greek to Me. I definitely recommend picking it up if you are looking for a fun book!    

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)