Monday, February 9, 2015

I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios


I'll Meet You There
By: Heather Demetrios
Released: February 3, 2015
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"If seventeen-year-old Skylar Evans were a typical Creek View girl, her future would involve a double-wide trailer, a baby on her hip, and the graveyard shift at Taco Bell. But after graduation, the only thing standing between straightedge Skylar and art school are three minimum-wage months of summer. Skylar can taste the freedom—that is, until her mother loses her job and everything starts coming apart. Torn between her dreams and the people she loves, Skylar realizes everything she’s ever worked for is on the line. Nineteen-year-old Josh Mitchell had a different ticket out of Creek View: the Marines. But after his leg is blown off in Afghanistan, he returns home, a shell of the cocksure boy he used to be. What brings Skylar and Josh together is working at the Paradise—a quirky motel off California’s dusty Highway 99. Despite their differences, their shared isolation turns into an unexpected friendship and soon, something deeper." (Summary from goodreads.com)  

I have been hearing so much about I'll Meet You There for months so I had to buy it the day it came out and wow it was stunning. This was the type of book that I just couldn't put down and I kept found myself trying to sneak in time to read throughout my day. 

I'll Meet You There is the story of Skylar who has just graduated high school and can't wait until she is out of her small town. She is so close to getting out and attending college in San Francisco, but then her mom loses her job. Skylar is torn between staying or going. Then there is Josh who has returned home from Afghanistan after losing his leg. Josh is now back to working at the Paradise motel again with Skylar. 

Skylar and Josh are both very well developed and complex characters. They make mistakes and are far from perfect. They are just real and for that I loved them. Josh is struggling with the aftermath of what happened while overseas. While Skylar is dealing with a lot when it comes to her mom. I really loved the whole storyline of Skylar's conflict with whether or not she should stay or leave. I also thought that the friendship that develops between Josh and Skylar really came across as natural and realistic. Then the side characters were just as great as Skylar and Josh. I loved Skylar's friends, Chris and Dylan.   

As I mentioned earlier, it was so hard to put this book down. I ended up reading it all in one day because I quickly became so invested in these characters.  I loved the setting in the small town. Demetrios did a great job with creating that small town feel. Also the plot was paced well and I thought that it gave the characters a chance to really develop in a realistic way. This story made me laugh, tear up, and even made my heart race. Demetrios writing is simply gorgeous. She handled a complex topic like PTSD so well. I especially loved the few chapters in Josh's point of view.

Overall I loved I'll Meet You There. This is such an unforgettable story that I can't recommend enough. 

My Review:

3 comments:

  1. I've seen this book around but this is the first review I read about it and I have to say I am sold. I will be adding this to my goodreads tbr list as soon as I finish writing this. It sounds like Skylar and Josh have a rough story and I'm looking forward to watching it unfold. Thanks for writing a spectacular review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen mixed reviews of this. I'm so glad you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been hearing so much about this book, but it honestly never really grabbed my attention. But now I feel like I missed out on something great. Maybe I'll give them one a read someday. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)