Monday, October 6, 2014

Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick

Black Ice
By: Becca Fitzpatrick
Release Date: October 7, 2014
Source: ARC from BEA
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

"Sometimes danger is hard to see... until it’s too late. Britt Pfeiffer has trained to backpack the Teton Range, but she isn't prepared when her ex-boyfriend, who still haunts her every thought, wants to join her. Before Britt can explore her feelings for Calvin, an unexpected blizzard forces her to seek shelter in a remote cabin, accepting the hospitality of its two very handsome occupants—but these men are fugitives, and they take her hostage. In exchange for her life, Britt agrees to guide the men off the mountain. As they set off, Britt knows she must stay alive long enough for Calvin to find her. The task is made even more complicated when Britt finds chilling evidence of a series of murders that have taken place there... and in uncovering this, she may become the killer’s next target. But nothing is as it seems in the mountains, and everyone is keeping secrets, including Mason, one of her kidnappers. His kindness is confusing Britt. Is he an enemy? Or an ally?" (Summary from goodreads.com)

As a fan of Becca Fitzpatrick's Hush Hush series, I have definitely been anticipating Black Ice for a while now. From the moment I picked this book up, I was sucked in to the story. I couldn't put it down for long because I just had to know what would happen next. This was just the type of story that I love because it's got a great balance of creepy and surprising twists.

Black Ice is the story of Britt who is going on a backpacking trip with her best friend and unexpectedly her ex-boyfriend as well. While on the way to the cabin, she gets caught in a blizzard. She ends up stumbling upon a cabin where two fugitives just so happen to be hiding out. Britt becomes their hostage and their guide to getting off the mountain. 

I liked the characters, but I didn't love them like I wanted to. Britt was interesting and I think she really developed well in certain areas. I definitely would have liked to see her relationships with the several different characters developed more thoroughly though. The side characters were all really interesting in their own ways and they all had this mysteriousness about them.

The plot was really twisted and kept me captivated. The pacing was much stronger in some areas than in others. The story takes place over the course of just a few days so sometime it felt like it was moving too quickly. While some of the twists were pretty easy to figure out, there were still some that caught me by surprise. My favorite aspect of this book was definitely how chilling it was.

Overall I really enjoyed Black Ice. This is definitely the type of book that will keep you on the edge of your seat. I recommend it to anyone looking for a thrilling read.

My Rating:

4 comments:

  1. I'm interested to know if you were able to predict the big twist/reveal? I did less than halfway through the novel so I was a bit bored throughout this book. Kind of disappointing since i loved the hush hush series and i LOVED the synopsis for Black Ice.

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I predicted half of the big twist. I definitely loved the Hush Hush series more though too.

      Delete
  2. I started this one last night and I like what I've read so far. It deff has a creepy vibe to it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you didn't love the characters like you wanted to; that does happen :( But it does sound like a good read. A book you have to give a try! And I do love a book that keeps me on the edge of my seat!

    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)