Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Kiss Kill Vanish by Jessica Martinez

Kiss Kill Vanish
By: Jessica Martinez
Released: October 7, 2014
Source: Edelweiss
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

"Valentina Cruz no longer exists. One moment, she was wrapped in Emilio’s arms, melting into his kiss. The next, she was witnessing the unthinkable: a murder in cold blood, ordered by her father and carried out by her boyfriend. When Emilio pulled the trigger, Valentina disappeared. She made a split-second decision to shed her identity and flee her life of privilege, leaving the glittering parties and sultry nightlife of Miami far behind. She doesn’t know how to explain to herself what she saw. All she knows now is that nothing she believed about her family, her heart, or Emilio’s love, was real. She can change her name and deny her past, but Valentina can’t run from the truth. The lines between right and wrong, and trust and betrayal, will be blurred beyond recognition as she untangles the deceptions of the two men she once loved and races to find her own truth." (Summary from goodreads.com

I liked Kiss Kill Vanish. As soon as I started reading, I couldn't put it down for  long because I was really interested to see where it would go next. However, I definitely think that this was a book where my expectations were too high.

Valentina runs away from home when she learns the truth about her father's business and discovers that her boyfriend is involved in it as well. Valentina was a character that I liked, but at the same time I found her to be unlikable too. She is stubborn and so determined that her way is the only right way. She is also really naïve in certain ways. This all inevitably leads her to making some poor decisions. However, the motivation for why she is that way is clearly there. Valentina grew up in a bubble where she got everything she wanted. I also thought that the side characters were fairly interesting too. I really liked Marcel and Lucien.

The plot kept me interested, but it wasn't all that believable at times. I think the pacing was too fast in some areas and too slow in other moments. I would have loved to see some of the more bigger plot lines developed more thoroughly. For instance I wanted more about Valentina's family life and her father. I felt like the reader never got the chance to get to know them all too well. There were quite a few inconsistencies with the plot too. I did like the few twists though and the end revelations definitely took me by surprise.

Overall I liked Kiss Kill Vanish. It was an interesting story with some great twists.  

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)