Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Landline by Rainbow Rowell

Landline 
By: Rainbow Rowell
Released: July 8, 2014
Source: ARC from BEA
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*Note this is an Adult Fiction book
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

"Georgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble. That it’s been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and Neal still loves her, deeply — but that almost seems besides the point now. Maybe that was always besides the point. Two days before they’re supposed to visit Neal’s family in Omaha for Christmas, Georgie tells Neal that she can’t go. She’s a TV writer, and something’s come up on her show; she has to stay in Los Angeles. She knows that Neal will be upset with her — Neal is always a little upset with Georgie — but she doesn’t expect to him to pack up the kids and go home without her. When her husband and the kids leave for the airport, Georgie wonders if she’s finally done it. If she’s ruined everything. That night, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It’s not time travel, not exactly, but she feels like she’s been given an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts . . . Is that what she’s supposed to do? Or would Georgie and Neal be better off if their marriage never happened?" (Summary from goodreads.com)


I loved Landline! It was amazing and possibly now my favorite Rainbow Rowell story. I absolutely loved these characters and the plot. I already can't wait to reread this book again. 

Landline is the story of Georgie McCool who is a TV writer and married to Neal. However, her marriage has been in trouble for sometime now. When she is supposed to go with Neal and her kids to visit his family for Christmas, Georgie chooses to stay behind and work on her new show instead. Georgie is upset when Neal and the kids actually leave and she is left home alone. That is when she finds that her old rotary phone at her mom's house gives her a way to communicate with Neal in the past. 

One of my favorite aspects of this story was the character development. Georgie, Neal, and Seth (Georgie's best friend and writing partner) all felt so real. The side characters were also fantastic. I loved Georgie's sister and mom. I love that there were these flashbacks and you saw how all of these characters met and got to know each other. I also loved reading the good moments in Georgie and Neal's marriage and also where it began to take a turn. Georgie was a great protagonist because she is real and she isn't perfect. She makes mistakes and she also doesn't want to change who she is or what she wants. I also appreciated how Georgie and Neal's relationship wasn't perfect. It was a realistic portrayal of an actual relationship.

Once I picked this book up, I couldn't put it down. As I mentioned earlier, I really enjoyed the whole past and present storytelling. It worked really well for this story and helped explain the characters motivations.

Overall I loved Landline! It has great realistic characters and an interesting storyline to go with it.  This book made me laugh, brought tears to my eyes, and made my heart beat faster. I definitely recommend this to the older Rainbow Rowell fans.

  My Rating:

4 comments:

  1. So jealous! I only skimmed your review because I want to go into this one with only the notion that I love and trust Rainbow Rowell, but I'm so excited to read it and glad to see it is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Another fantastic book from Rainbow Rowell. I need to bump this to the top of my TBR.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)