Monday, June 30, 2014

Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater

Sinner
By: Maggie Stiefvater
Released: July 1, 2014
Source: ARC from BEA
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

"Sinner follows Cole St. Clair, a pivotal character from the #1 New York Times bestselling Shiver Trilogy. Everybody thinks they know Cole's story. Stardom. Addiction. Downfall. Disappearance. But only a few people know Cole's darkest secret -- his ability to shift into a wolf. One of these people is Isabel. At one point, they may have even loved each other. But that feels like a lifetime ago. Now Cole is back. Back in the spotlight. Back in the danger zone. Back in Isabel's life. Can this sinner be saved?" (Summary from goodreads.com)

I loved Sinner! Not only did I love the Wolves of Mercy Falls series, but I'm also a big fan of Maggie Stiefvater. I've been looking forward to this book since I first heard about it because it has my two favorite characters from the Wolves of Mercy Falls series and it's set in Los Angeles. Cole and Isabel were just fascinating characters to me and I always wanted more of their story. 

Sinner alternates between Cole and Isabel's point of views. Cole is returning to Los Angeles to make his comeback in music after disappearing. However, now being back in the spotlight means that he has to hide that he can shift into a wolf. Also he must prove to almost everyone that he won't fall back into his old addiction habits. Cole hasn't just returned to LA for the spotlight though, Isabel is there too. However, Isabel has her own hands full with classes and ignoring her family. 

Cole and Isabel may not be likable people, but I love them. They are two of my favorite Young Adult characters because they are strong, flawed, and vulnerable. Isabel says what is on her mind and is honest even when it's something that the person doesn't want to necessarily hear. I love the voice that Maggie gives to both of them because it just brings them to life. Cole's voice is all over the place most of the time and you really get a sense of how much is going through his mind all the time. While on the hand Isabel is calm and collected. Cole and Isabel just simply balance each other out well. 

From the first line (which is probably the best opening line to a Young Adult book ever) I was hooked. The alternating chapters helped move the story along well. I actually loved that this book didn't focus so much on the wolves. For the majority of the book I mostly forgot that Cole was even a wolf and instead felt like I was reading a contemporary book. I also loved the role that music played in this story. I loved reading the moment that Cole came up with a new lyric. 

Overall I absolutely loved Sinner. I definitely recommend picking this book up if you are a fan of The Wolves of Mercy Falls series or even if you haven't read them yet. This book is the perfect example of why I love Maggie Stiefvater's writing style so much. 


My Rating:

3 comments:

  1. I actually didn't care for the Wolves series but I LOVE the Raven Boys and I've been told that I should give Sinner a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Raven Boys a lot more than the Wolves of Mercy Falls books. I think Sinner is probably my favorite Maggie Stiefvater book at the moment though. Her writing was so amazing in this book. I hope if you do give it a chance you enjoy it. :)

      Delete
  2. Stiefvater is one of the most talented fantasy authors right now, and I enjoyed reading her not-so-complicated guilty pleasure book!
    Highly recommended Land For Sale in Alaska information

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)