Tuesday, June 3, 2014

BEA 2014 Recap


This was my third year at BEA and I think that this was actually my favorite year yet and that is mostly because of the bloggers.

My favorite part of attending BEA each year is getting to see some bloggers again and meeting new ones. It was great to see Teresa from Readers Live a Thousand Lives,  Nicole from Paperback Princess, and Kassiah from Divergent Lexicon again. (I especially owe a huge thank you to Nicole for being so amazing and always knowing where everything is!) It was also so great to meet Asma from A Reading Kabocha, Vania from Por Essas Paginas, Susan from Read This Eat That, Tonya from Lilybloombooks, Shanese from The Bo0ki3, and Emily from Oktopus Ink. (I'm sorry I know I'm forgetting a lot of people still).


I also loved meeting the teachers, librarians, authors, and publishers. It was so great meeting Julie Kagawa, Robin Talley, Alexandra Adorenetto, Christina Lauren, Adi Alsaid, Morgan Matson, Jennifer Donnelly, Rebecca Serle, Martina Boone, E. Lockhart, Jennifer L. Armentrout, Michelle Madow, and Leslie Connor. I especially want to say thank you to all of the publishers and authors who attended.

(This Is Where I Leave You Panel)
On Friday night I attended the This Is Where I Leave You panel which featured the author Jonathan Tropper, Tina Fey, and Jason Bateman. It was a really great panel discussing how you adapt a book into a movie. I loved that the author would read a passage from the novel and then we would watch a clip of that scene in the movie. It was really great discussion on what goes into deciding what parts of the book stay and what can be taken out when trying to adapt it into a movie. I'm definitely really looking forward to this film adaptation now.

(TFIOS Panel)
On Saturday I attended The Fault in Our Stars panel which featured John Green, Nat Wolff, Josh Boone, Wyck Godfrey, the screenwriters, and executives. First it was absolute chaos to even get into this panel. I have never in all my past four years at New York Comic Con seen a mob and line like the one there was to get into this panel. It was terrifying because at one point people just charged in the line and were hitting each other. Not only was I genuinely concerned about my own safety, but there were a lot of young children in that crowd. I was relieved when I saw cops beginning to arrive and start calming the crowd down. I just hope that next year Book Con will figure out a better way to organize the event because this just wasn't safe. Once I got into the panel, it quickly began and so I quickly turned into an emotional mess. The panel was fantastic. I loved hearing what went into adapting the novel and the stories from set. There was also a hint at a possible Looking for Alaska movie announcement coming in the next few days.        

Overall I thought that the whole conference went really well. Book Con was just really chaotic though. I'm so thrilled to see so many people excited about books, but I don't think it was organized very well. There were just too many people all squeezed into one small space. However, this was the first Book Con ever so I hope that they took note and that next year is organized into a larger space. I loved getting to see so many people again and meeting so many new faces as well. Everyone was so nice and it reminded me why I love to be a part of the blogging community. I'm really excited to share reviews on the few exciting books that I did pick up in the next upcoming months. (If you were curious as to what those books are then you can find a link to the pictures on my instagram account on twitter). Again a huge thank you to the publishers and authors who attended!

     

5 comments:

  1. It was awesome to see you again! I can't believe we forgot to take a picture though!!! BEA was a lot of fun this year but I can't believe how crazy that John Green panel sounds. We left early Saturday because Book Con was insane. I hope they figure it out next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next year we will have to take a picture together! Yeah a lot of people I talked to had left early on Saturday because of the craziness. Glad you had a lot of fun at BEA too! :)

      Delete
  2. I think if I ever get to meet Julie Kagawa, I could die happy. I adore her books.

    Lisa @Just Another Rabid Reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her books too and she is such a sweetheart in person! I hope you get to meet her one day! :)

      Delete
  3. It was really nice meeting you, Traci! Bookcon was chaotic, indeed. We were at the end of the line (mostly because a friend of mine who attended Bookcon wanted to go, but I knew we weren't getting in) and it was sad seeing so many disappointed kids. The organizers are reading our feedback though (or at least the people who handle their social media), so hopefully next year we'll have a better experience!

    Cheers, Vania

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)