Tuesday, June 10, 2014

17 First Kisses by Rachael Allen

17 First Kisses
By: Rachael Allen
Released: June 17, 2014
Source: Edelweiss
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

"No matter how many boys Claire kisses, she can’t seem to find a decent boyfriend. Someone who wouldn’t rather date her gorgeous best friend, Megan. Someone who won’t freak out when he learns about the tragedy her family still hasn’t recovered from. Someone whose kisses can carry her away from her backwoods town for one fleeting moment. Until Claire meets Luke. But Megan is falling for Luke, too, and if there’s one thing Claire knows for sure, it’s that Megan’s pretty much irresistible. With true love and best friendship on the line, Claire suddenly has everything to lose. And what she learns—about her crush, her friends, and most of all herself—makes the choices even harder." (Summary from goodreads.com)

I really enjoyed 17 First Kisses. Allen makes a really fantastic debut and I will definitely be looking forward to what she writes next.

Claire has kissed many boys but has trouble finding a good boyfriend, especially a boy who isn't interested in her best friend. Then she meets Luke and they instantly make a connection. However, Claire's best friend, Megan, is interested in Luke too. 

I liked Claire and found her to be a realistic teen. She could be really frustrating at times and make really poor decisions, but she was always believable. I understood her motivation for making the choices that she did. There were also some really great side characters. I especially loved Sam.

The plot was interesting and I liked that it wasn't just about romance, but instead I thought it was more about friendship and family. I thought this whole book was very realistic. I also loved that the chapters alternated between the present and then a past kiss. It all came together really well and I liked how it all slowly unraveled the truth about Claire's family. The end was predictable, but that didn't cause me to enjoy this story any less. However, the pacing felt a little rushed in the middle and end though. I would have preferred to see some more development in certain scenes. 

Overall I really enjoyed 17 First Kisses. I definitely recommend this book to fans of realistic contemporary stories. 


My Rating:

1 comment:

  1. Great review!

    I love when a character is portrayed so realistic and can be felt by the readers. And as much as I just love romance, I do love finding those books that are more than that. Ones that focus on friendship and family as well. I'm curious about how the chapters alternated between past and present. Sounds like it made the book more interesting, more developed, and allowed for a more in depth reading experience.

    Definitely might have to give this one a try!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)