Monday, May 5, 2014

Second Star by Alyssa B. Sheinmel

Second Star
By: Alyssa B. Sheinmel
Released: May 13, 2014
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

"A twisty story about love, loss, and lies, this contemporary oceanside adventure is tinged with a touch of dark magic as it follows seventeen-year-old Wendy Darling on a search for her missing surfer brothers. Wendy’s journey leads her to a mysterious hidden cove inhabited by a tribe of young renegade surfers, most of them runaways like her brothers. Wendy is instantly drawn to the cove’s charismatic leader, Pete, but her search also points her toward Pete's nemesis, the drug-dealing Jas. Enigmatic, dangerous, and handsome, Jas pulls Wendy in even as she's falling hard for Pete. A radical reinvention of a classic, Second Star is an irresistible summer romance about two young men who have yet to grow up--and the troubled beauty trapped between them" (Summary from goodreads.com)

I was so excited when I first heard about this book because I love Peter Pan. Second Star was a really enjoyable and interesting spin on the classic story.

Second Star is the story of Wendy who is searching for her two brothers who went missing while surfing. While on her search she comes across a group of runaways lead by Pete. She also comes across a drug dealer and Pete's nemesis, Jas. Wendy was an interesting protagonist. I admired how she wouldn't give up on her search for her brothers. However she made some decisions that drove me a bit crazy at times. There were so many great side characters and I especially loved Pete and Jas. I actually wanted more Pete and Jas because both were really interesting characters.
   
The plot was interesting and kept me captivated from the beginning. I picked up this book with completely different expectations in mind and even though this book was the opposite of that, I really enjoyed it. I loved the setting on the beach and definitely think this book makes a good summer read. It also made me want to get out on a surfboard. The last half of the book did become somewhat predictable, but that didn't make me enjoy this book any less.

Overall I really enjoyed Second Star. It was an interesting take on Peter Pan and I definitely recommend adding this book to your summer reading pile.

My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. ah.. i think my problem with this would be the decisions she makes that will drive me crazy.. still, this is a positive review and has me thinking if i should pick it up now :) great review!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently reading it, she just met Jas, and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. Your review does make me hopeful that I'll end up enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)