Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line by Rob Thomas and Jennifer Graham

 Welcome my sister, Kelly, to The Reading Geek! 
She will now be contributing some guest book reviews to the blog.
 

The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line
By: Rob Thomas and Jennifer Graham
Released: March 25, 2014
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*Note: This is an adult book

"Ten years after graduating from high school in Neptune, California, Veronica Mars is back in the land of sun, sand, crime, and corruption. She’s traded in her law degree for her old private investigating license, struggling to keep Mars Investigations afloat on the scant cash earned by catching cheating spouses until she can score her first big case. Now it’s spring break, and college students descend on Neptune, transforming the beaches and boardwalks into a frenzied, week-long rave. When a girl disappears from a party, Veronica is called in to investigate. But this is no simple missing person’s case; the house the girl vanished from belongs to a man with serious criminal ties, and soon Veronica is plunged into a dangerous underworld of drugs and organized crime. And when a major break in the investigation has a shocking connection to Veronica’s past, the case hits closer to home than she ever imagined. In Veronica Mars, Rob Thomas has created a groundbreaking female detective who’s part Phillip Marlowe, part Nancy Drew, and all snark. With its sharp plot and clever twists, The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line will keep you guessing until the very last page" (Summary from goodreads.com)

Being a fan of Veronica Mars picking up this book was a no brainer. I was slightly worried because I didn't want this to be sub par, I hold Veronica and her story on a very high pedestal, but once I picked up the book my fears were quickly squashed.

The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line picks up a few months after the recently released film left off. Veronica is back in Neptune and the PI business after leaving behind a lucrative law career in New York. Veronica is struggling to keep Mars Investigations afloat and waiting for that next big case. When a girl on spring break in Neptune goes missing Veronica is thrown into the case, but even Veronica's PI skills couldn't help her predict the connection this case would have to her past.

Veronica Mars is a character I grew up with so I hold her close to my heart. What makes Veronica special is her no nonsense attitude. She is this smart, intelligent, strong women and a lot of that had to do with Kristen Bells portrayal. Before I picked this up I was afraid that a lot of what made Veronica special may be lost in a book version. But I'm pleased to say none of that was missing, this was still the Veronica I loved and maybe even more. I've heard a lot of complaints about this story being written in third person instead of the first person, but it never bothered me. I never even thought about it until I saw others complain.

The case in The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line was interesting and exciting. It had all these great twists and turns. My theories on suspects were always changing. There were moments where I audibly gasped out loud and there were moments when I was terrified for Veronica. I was definitely cheering her on as I read though. The case introduces you to a lot of new different characters, but your favorites from the series make a return as well. 

I'd recommend Veronica Mars: The Ten Thousand-Dollar Tan Line to anyone who is a fan of the show. I'd also recommend it to those who aren't familiar with the show, but I would suggest maybe reading up on it and familiarizing yourself with the story. It's not necessary to know anything about Veronica's story before picking this up because the book does give you some quick recaps on characters and situations, but this story was clearly written for the fans. I can't wait for more books to be released in this series because getting Veronica Mars and her story in any format is good enough for this Marshmallow.


My Rating:
 


 

2 comments:

  1. Welcome Kelly! Great first review =)

    I have been on the fence about whether or not to read this book. I ADORE Veronica Mars but was worried that the transition from screen to print wouldn't translate well. Part of the reason I love the show and movie is because I really like Kristin Bell. After seeing that you enjoyed it though and the mystery was really captivating I will definitely be checking this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly, and welcome! :)

    I'm a huge fan of Veronica Mars (and it looks like you are one too!) so I'm definitely picking up a copy of The Thousand Dollar Tan Line even if the reviews are bad, but I'm so glad that you liked it! It sounds just like the Veronica Mars (great mystery, even more awesome female lead) that I loved!

    Great review, and I'm looking forward to a lot more!

    Lyra @ Defiantly Deviant

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)