Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Don't Look Back
By: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Released: April 15, 2014
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Samantha is a stranger in her own life. Until the night she disappeared with her best friend, Cassie, everyone said Sam had it all-popularity, wealth, and a dream boyfriend. Sam has resurfaced, but she has no recollection of who she was or what happened to her that night. As she tries to piece together her life from before, she realizes it's one she no longer wants any part of. The old Sam took "mean girl" to a whole new level, and it's clear she and Cassie were more like best enemies. Sam is pretty sure that losing her memories is like winning the lottery. She's getting a second chance at being a better daughter, sister, and friend, and she's falling hard for Carson Ortiz, a boy who has always looked out for her-even if the old Sam treated him like trash. But Cassie is still missing, and the facts about what happened to her that night isn't just buried deep inside of Sam's memory-someone else knows, someone who wants to make sure Sam stays quiet. All Sam wants is the truth, and if she can unlock her clouded memories of that fateful night, she can finally move on. But what if not remembering is the only thing keeping Sam alive?" (Summary from goodreads.com)

Don't Look Back was such a creepy and suspenseful story. I loved it! Being the huge Jennifer L. Armentrout fan that I am, I was really excited for this book. I decided to read only a couple of chapters a night though and it just built up the suspense even more. It genuinely freaked me out a few times, so I wouldn't exactly recommend reading this one right before bed. It brought on some crazy dreams.  

One night Samantha disappears with her best friend, Cassie, and when she is found, she has no memory of who she is or what happened to Cassie. I don't want to say too much and ruin the book. I think the less you know going into it, the more you will enjoy it.  That was the case for me, at least.

Samantha was a well developed protagonist. She has to work through this new start at life, but is also trying to remember what happened Cassie. She realizes that the person she was before she lost her memory, isn't someone that she wants to be anymore. There were also some really excellent side characters too. I loved Scott, Carson, and Julie. 

The plot was so captivating and freaky. I could not figure out the ending and it completely took me by surprise. I loved trying to piece together the truth about what happened to Sam and the secrets she was keeping before she lost her memory. There was also a great balance of romance and humor mixed in with all the drama. 

Overall I really loved Don't Look Back! It's a twisted and suspenseful story. I definitely recommend picking this one up! 

My Rating:
 

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree, I have just posted my review of Don't Look Back and I thought it was one of her best so far. I have only been a recent fan of JLA, but I loved the adrenaline fueled suspense throughout the novel. I really enjoy Sammy's character as well, I was glad she got a second chance from the person she was before her memory loss. Lovely review, Traci! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite the immense amount of love that I have for JLA, I'm a little skeptical to pick this one up. Mainly because it seemed so different from her other novels. But after reading your review, I feel like o should pick it up and try it out. Great review!

    Halee @ Confessions of a Book Addict.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)