Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

The Distance Between Us
By: Kasie West
Released: July 2, 2013
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop. So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company. She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about." (Summary from goodreads.com)


I loved The Distance Between Us! This is definitely on my list now as one of my favorite contemporary books ever. 

The Distance Between Us is the story of Caymen who works in her mom's doll shop. She has learned from her mother's experiences that the rich don't stick around. Then one day Xander Spence comes into the shop to pick up a doll for his grandmother. Xander's family owns a chain of hotels and is everything that Caymen's mom would hate. 

Caymen was a strongly developed and realistic character. I loved her dry sarcasm, it was hilarious! She was just all around a really fantastic protagonist who grows through the course of the book. She feels a sense of obligation and guilt when it comes to helping out at her mom's store. I understood why she was conflicted about choosing her own future or staying to help her mom. Then there is Xander and I loved getting to know him too. I definitely shared Caymen's first impression of him, but enjoyed learning that there was more to him than expected. I love the relationship that developed between Caymen and Xander. It felt real. There were also some really great side characters like Skye and Henry.

I was hooked from the first page and couldn't put this book down for long once I started reading. It was a great balance of drama, romance, and humor. This book made me laugh out loud quite a few times. It also had moments that just poked at my heart too. West's writing is wonderful and she brings such life to these characters. I'm definitely a fan now!      

I truly loved everything about The Distance Between Us! I can reread this book over and over again without ever getting sick of it. I strongly recommend picking up this book! It's a cute story with amazing characters!


My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. Kasie West is definitely becoming one of my favourite writers. Her stories are so engaging and she writes such great dialogue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read a Kasie West book. I've been meaning to, but still haven't!! I've only heard great things about all her books and especially this one. I'm glad you liked it too... and I love books that can make me laugh out loud :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)