Monday, January 27, 2014

Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge

Cruel Beauty 
By: Rosamund Hodge
Release Date: January 28, 2014
Source: Edelweiss
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

"Based on the classic fairy tale Beauty and the Beast, Cruel Beauty is a dazzling love story about our deepest desires and their power to change our destiny. Since birth, Nyx has been betrothed to the evil ruler of her kingdom-all because of a foolish bargain struck by her father. And since birth, she has been in training to kill him. With no choice but to fulfill her duty, Nyx resents her family for never trying to save her and hates herself for wanting to escape her fate. Still, on her seventeenth birthday, Nyx abandons everything she's ever known to marry the all-powerful, immortal Ignifex. Her plan? Seduce him, destroy his enchanted castle, and break the nine-hundred-year-old curse he put on her people. But Ignifex is not at all what Nyx expected. The strangely charming lord beguiles her, and his castle-a shifting maze of magical rooms-enthralls her. As Nyx searches for a way to free her homeland by uncovering Ignifex's secrets, she finds herself unwillingly drawn to him. Even if she could bring herself to love her sworn enemy, how can she refuse her duty to kill him? With time running out, Nyx must decide what is more important: the future of her kingdom, or the man she was never supposed to love" (Summary from goodreads.com)

Wow I have not been able to stop thinking about Cruel Beauty for days. Beauty and the Beast has been one of my absolute favorite stories for as long as I can remember, which is why I love to read retellings of this story so much. Cruel Beauty has definitely just become my favorite retelling though. I've been excited about this book for months and it was even better than all of my expectations. 

As a result of her father's bargain with the evil ruler, Nyx has been betrothed to him since birth. She has been trained to kill him, but the evil ruler isn't what she expected at all. Nyx was such a great and complex protagonist. She was developed so well. Nyx is so angry and resentful, which is understandable since she is stuck in this situation because of her family. However, I loved learning that there was so much more to her besides this anger. Then there is Ignifex who was such a great character too. He was developed really well also.

The plot was absolutely captivating and it was difficult to walk away from reading even for a few minutes. Each time I thought I figured it all out, there was a new twist that I never expected. The plot was strongly developed and had a great blend of suspense, romance, and mystery. 

Hodge created such a refreshing story that combined elements of the classic Beauty and the Beast fairy tale and then all of this Greek mythology. It was all incorporated into the story smoothly. Cruel Beauty was completely different from everything else that I have been reading lately. The world that Hodge created was so fascinating and strongly built too. I loved reading about the castle and all of the rooms. I felt like I was there with these characters. I'm already looking forward to rereading this book again very soon.

Hodge has made a fantastic debut and I will definitely read what she writes next. I strongly recommend Cruel Beauty! It's an exciting and refreshing fantasy story set in a world that will be difficult to forget. 


My Rating:

3 comments:

  1. I've seen Cruel Beauty pop up a lot this past week. But I just can't get over those names. I'm sure I'll end up reading it though because I am addicted to fairy tale re-tellings and it's been getting very nice reviews like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing review! I cannot wait to read this one!! I keep reading great reviews about it, and it just makes me want the book more! Beauty and the Beast is also one of my favorites, so seeing a book that is like it and done well, sign me up! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book got stuck in my head too! I just couldnt shake it because I loved it so much! I am already dying to re-read this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)