Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Blog Blitz: Review: Being Sloane Jacobs by Lauren Morrill

Being Sloane Jacobs
By: Lauren Morrill
Released: January 7, 2014
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

"Meet Sloane Emily Jacobs: a seriously stressed-out figure-skater from Washington, D.C., who choked during junior nationals and isn’t sure she’s ready for a comeback. What she does know is that she’d give anything to escape the mass of misery that is her life. Now meet Sloane Devon Jacobs, a spunky ice hockey player from Philly who’s been suspended from her team for too many aggressive hip checks. Her punishment? Hockey camp, now, when she’s playing the worst she’s ever played. If she messes up? Her life will be over. When the two Sloanes meet by chance in Montreal and decide to trade places for the summer, each girl thinks she’s the lucky one: no strangers to judge or laugh at Sloane Emily, no scouts expecting Sloane Devon to be a hero. But it didn’t occur to Sloane E. that while avoiding sequins and axels she might meet a hockey hottie—and Sloane D. never expected to run into a familiar (and very good-looking) face from home. It’s not long before the Sloanes discover that convincing people you’re someone else might be more difficult than being yourself" (Summary from goodreads.com) 


Being Sloane Jacobs was a great read. I really enjoyed Lauren Morrill's previous book Meant to Be, so I was really excited to read what she wrote next. 

Sloane Emily Jacobs is a figure-skater who is trying to make a comeback, but isn't to sure if she's ready for it. Then there is Sloane Devon Jacobs who is a hockey player. She is being sent to hockey camp after getting into one too many fights on the ice. When both Sloane Emily and Sloane Devon meet up by accident, they decide to switch places. I really liked both of these characters and thought that they were developed well. They both are so different, but have some similarities too. There were also some really great side characters as well.

I really liked this plot a lot. First I'm always looking for more books that include hockey because it's my favorite sport, so I really loved that it played a role in this book. I don't know much about figure skating, so I liked learning a bit more about that too. Then I just loved the whole plot line of these two girls switching places. They both just wanted to get away from all the pressure that was in their lives. 

From the beginning this book hooked me in. I liked that the chapters alternated between Sloane Emily and Sloane Devon. Both of their voices were distinct so it didn't get confusing. The plot had a good mix of drama, humor, and a bit of romance. There were quite a few times that this book made me laugh out loud too.

Overall Being Sloane Jacobs was a really enjoyable story. I definitely recommend picking it up if you are a fan of contemporary books.


My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed this one. I felt more of a connection to "real figure skater Sloane", but I still enjoyed both characters.

    - Tabitha @ Tabitha's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really excited to see you enjoyed this one! I just got an arc of this the other day, but haven't had a chance to pick it up!! I'm a roller derby player, so I think the whole skating aspect of this novel is AWESOME! :)

    -Becca @Pivot Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)