Monday, December 30, 2013

The Promise of Amazing by Robin Constantine

The Promise of Amazing
By: Robin Constantine
Released: December 31, 2013
Source: Edelweiss
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

"Wren Caswell is average. Ranked in the middle of her class at Sacred Heart, she’s not popular, but not a social misfit. Wren is the quiet, “good” girl who's always done what she's supposed to—only now in her junior year, this passive strategy is backfiring. She wants to change, but doesn’t know how. Grayson Barrett was the king of St. Gabe’s. Star of the lacrosse team, top of his class, on a fast track to a brilliant future—until he was expelled for being a “term paper pimp.” Now Gray is in a downward spiral and needs to change, but doesn’t know how. One fateful night their paths cross when Wren, working at her family’s Arthurian-themed catering hall, performs the Heimlich on Gray as he chokes on a cocktail weenie, saving his life literally and figuratively. What follows is the complicated, awkward, hilarious, and tender tale of two teens shedding their pasts, figuring out who they are—and falling in love." (Summary from goodreads.com)

I liked The Promise of Amazing. It was a captivating and quick read.

Wren is a quiet "good" girl who works at her family's catering hall. While working one night she saves Gray's life when he is choking. After that Gray and Wren just can't seem to stay away from each other. I thought that both Wren and Gray were developed well. However, I have to say that I was not much of a fan of either of these characters. I liked Wren and I could relate to her on some aspects. She is really quiet. Then when compared to her siblings and friends, she is average. What made me not like her that much were the decisions she kept on making. I think that she was too easily manipulated. I also don't think that her friends were good influences for her. Then there is Gray and I really did want to like him, but I couldn't. He is a jerk and he has these sweet moments, but to me he just remained that jerk. 

The plot kept me hooked and I read this book in one day. There was a lot more drama going on than I expected there to be from the summary and I liked that. Gray has quite the past and it gets him into trouble. I also really liked that the chapters alternated between Gray and Wren. I thought that both characters had strong voices. My favorite aspect of this story was definitely the family storylines though. Wren has two older siblings and her family owns a catering hall. While Gray's parents are both divorced and remarried. Both characters had interesting family lives that were both very different from each other.

Overall, I liked The Promise of Amazing.       


My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. I think I'll save this one for when I'm in the mood for something quick and easy. Sounds interesting but not hugely compelling

    ReplyDelete
  2. The premise and cover for this book sound so cute! My coblogger didn't seem to enjoy this much, but I'm glad you liked it, even if it wasn't a raving loooove situation. Strong family story lines are always a bonus.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)