Friday, December 20, 2013

The Best of 2013: Day 5

The Best of 2013: Day 5

This year I thought I would do something different with my end of the year wrap up. For the next few days I will be featuring different Young Adult bloggers who will talk about what their favorite books were from 2013.


Meet Dreams from Once Upon a Dream Books:

Hello, I'm Dreams, and my blog Once Upon A Dream Books (http://adreamfrommyheart.blogspot.com) is still a baby in the book blogger world. But after reading nearly one thousand books in the last few years, my reviews and recommendations needed a place to call their own. From an early age, I've always been a fan of books, but lately it seems like reading has become an intricate part of my life. After all, there really is nothing else better than a good book and a nice, comfy couch to waste the hours away.



1.) What was your favorite book from 2013?
This is such a tough choice, to me it seemed like 2013 was the year of majorly awesome books. Yes, I did just say 'majorly awesome.' But, if forced to pick one, I'd say Water (Elements of Power #2) by Heather James. (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18005818-water)


2.) Why was Water your favorite book of 2013?
This is probably one of the lesser known books that I have read this year, and also one of the ones I was looking forward to most. It has all the hallmarks of a great book: well written, generated emotional attachment/involvement, interesting world. The story picked up right were book one left off, and was fun and entertaining. But it was the characters that really sold this book for me. These guys are complex, and felt very real with their responses and decisions. Some are admirable and you want to be their friend, other are despicable and you'd shy away from them. Then there the ones that are are so ambiguous, you don't know where they truly fall on the moral scale because they are so great at presenting different faces. Even when they are "bad" you have to wonder if you knew their true motivations, would they still be considered bad? Any author who can make me love and hate a character at the same time for his/her actions deserves an award. 
If you want to sell me a book, sell me the characters. I may slush through any book that has it's dull moments, but I will never fight the desire to skim through a book with poorly written characters. If the characters win me over early on, I am in it for the long hall, no matter the genre.


3.) What was your favorite quote from Water?
"Why did it feel like lately all I was doing was waiting to be rescued? By useless boys, too." (Roxy)




Meet Bonnie from A Backwards Story:

Hi bookworms! I'm Bonnie from A Backwards Story (http://abackwardsstory.blogspot.com). My favorite genres to R&R are high fantasy and fairy tale/mythological retellings!

1.) What was your favorite book from 2013?

Just one! So hard! I'm going to go ahead and talk about my favorite debut novel that hasn't gotten as much attention as it should, rather than throw out new series installments that you already know and love yourselves! I was a big fan of THE BURNING SKY by Sherry Thomas. It's a book that snuck up on me, one I received for review without knowing anything about it, one I sort of dragged my feet over. AND I LOVED IT.



2.) Why was The Burning Sky your favorite book of 2013?
Action! Adventure! Mystery! Intrigue! Deception! Romance! What more do you want in a book? HarperCollins' Balzer + Bray imprint always puts out great, engaging fantasy. I often want to read a book just because it's from this imprint (And their other imprint, Greenwillow Books, is also fabulous). THE BURNING SKY is no exception. I read it with no expectations, and finished wanting more. There should be more buzz surrounding THE BURNING SKY than there is. It was unputdownable, a book not to be forgotten. It lingers with you when the last page is done, making it impossible to just dive into something new right away. 
It's also blurbed by fantasy authors I love such as Rae Carson, Sarah J. Maas, Marie Lu, and Cinda Williams Chima. It has aspects of beloved series, while still remaining wholly its own entity, and is recommended as "Kristin Cashore meets Cinda Williams Chima"...with a dash of Tamora Pierce for good measure! If you love high fantasy, this is exactly your cup of tea!

3.) What was your favorite quote from The Burning Sky?
"And think no more on the exact hour of your death, prince. That moment must come to all mortals. When you will have done what you need to do, you will have lived long enough."~pg. 330




Thank you Dreams and Bonnie for sharing your picks!

Check out The Best of 2013: Day 2 
Check out The Best of 2013: Day 3
Check out The Best of 2013: Day 4

Check back again tomorrow to see what other bloggers are choosing as their favorite book of the year.

So what was your favorite book from 2013? 
 

1 comment:

  1. This was a great idea that you came up with. I'm adding some great books to my TBR list. Thanks for having me here today.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)